Crumbles vs. Pellets

I switched my girls from pellets to crumbles. I have 3 girls that were debeaked and I worried that they couldn't pick up the pellets as well as the crumbles. They are a bunch of oinkers no matter what I feed them.
they get scratch and fresh veggies every day on top of the feed.

I switched from crumbles to pellets, the chickens were not happy.
tongue.gif
Sure they ate it but they also made a mess with the pellets:confused: I think my chickens are a little "different" pellets are supposed to be less messy. Well I switched them back to crumbles and no more mess:clap And the chickies are thrilled:ya So I guess it depends on what works for you and your flock.

By the way my chickies do not like lettuce either and from what I've read most LOVE it--go figure

In my 46 years of life and after owning many many animals I have yet to see an animal starve themselves to death if appropriate feed is available. They will eat pellets if pellets is what's available to them. The only exception being de-beaked hens.

miss jay's mama :

I switched from crumbles to pellets, the chickens were not happy.
tongue.gif
Sure they ate it but they also made a mess with the pellets:confused: I think my chickens are a little "different" pellets are supposed to be less messy. Well I switched them back to crumbles and no more mess:clap And the chickies are thrilled:ya So I guess it depends on what works for you and your flock.

By the way my chickies do not like lettuce either and from what I've read most LOVE it--go figure

That is the same problem I had. my chickens said
tongue.gif
They kick out the pellets all over the place and are wasting a lot. I put a little corn in there since it is cold and that is the first thing to go. They wait untill very last thing to eat the pellets. I guess I'll buy crumbles again. I bought the pellets because I heard there is supposed to be less waste, but I find a big circle spilled out of the bowl every time I feed them.
hu.gif

I offer both crumbles and pellets 24/7 and my chickens eat more crumbles
two to one. I have found to make sure your feeder has a lip on it so they
can't fling or flick out their food. Never mix scratch or grain in with your
feed or they will waste the feed to get to the grain. Grain is like candy
to a child, they perfer it, but it's not good for them. Some grain as a treat
now and then is ok but not good as a main diet.

I'm another one who tried pellets (accidentally) and went back to crumbles. They scattered the pellets all over the place, I don't think they liked them at all. Switched back to crumbles and I have virtually no waste.

I'm a 'pellet feeder'. We start chicks on starter/grower crumblers, but I try to switch them over to pelleted feed by 12-14 weeks old - like others, it's less watse on pellets.

Recently I switched a group of 13 week olds to pellets - they immediately starting scarffing them down...LOL, as if we'd been starving them up to now.

My birds are pen raised. I started out feeding them pellets but they seemed to waste a lot of it under their coops.

I stuck a tray under the coop where the feeder was and collected what was knocked out for two weeks ... then I switched to crumble and for two weeks collected what they knocked out. For me more pellets were knocked out and wasted than the crumble.

I calculated the wasted pellets over a year compared to the crumble. For the amount of birds I have, I am saving $211.87 a year by switching to crumble. But remember this is how it works for me, it may not be that way for anyone else.

Gate

Back
Top Bottom