Crumbles vs pellets

calrock67

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
My Pekins are about five weeks old. At what age do I change their food from crumbles to the pellets? I am feeding them Purina Flock Raiser crumbles right now and the bag is almost empty so if I am wondering if I should upgrade. They are a pretty good size and starting to turn from yellow to white.

My Pekins are about five weeks old. At what age do I change their food from crumbles to the pellets? I am feeding them Purina Flock Raiser crumbles right now and the bag is almost empty so if I am wondering if I should upgrade. They are a pretty good size and starting to turn from yellow to white.

I bought a ton of crumble from a local mill that I'll be feeding mine until they're into layer (Or wind up in the freezer). If you're just buying 50 pound bags you could switch it up too. Birds are pretty stupid and if you give them the same food different shape they think they're getting something new and seem to really enjoy it for a day or two. My Pekins are 3 weeks and already HUGE, I'm sure at 5 they could handle pellets without trouble, but there's no rule that says that adult birds can't get crumble.

They're plenty old enough, and its not like they can't be fed crumble, I choose the pellet form only because it reduces waste and its easier for the birds to get down their throat.

Back
Top Bottom