crumbles vs pellets

They will adjust! In the meantime, the pellets can be broken down a little in a blender or food processor so they more closely resemble crumbles. The birds would probably love you if you moistened the pellets with a little yogurt, or applesauce (or just water in a pinch). I would probably serve them wet pellets each day and gradually reduce the amount of moisture in the mix until they will eat the dry pellets. I tend to spoil my birds!
smile.png

I would expect so but it may not be immediate. I switched mine from crumbles to pellets and they immediately started picking the pellets out and leaving the crumbles behind. I mixed the two thinking it would make the transition easier. Silly me.

If you have crumbles left, you might try mixing them. Or you could break some pellets up, maybe with a wooden mallet, rolling pin , whatever, or break some up in a blender, then mix them.

Once they figure out it is food, they will eat them. Hard to imagine chickens not trying to eat anything they can get to, but they are strange and wondrous animals.

Mine are the opposite... they HATE the crumbles lol but that is all they get atm till the babies can eat the layer pellets.

They will get used to it...might have to ease them into it tho as was suggested. Could try just mixing them as mentioned...mine will eat anything if it is in cottage cheese or yogurt
gig.gif

I had the same issue with this spring's young ones. I mixed scratch in with the pellets after breaking the pellets up a bit, and gradually reduced the scratch "bait."

Hello,

The feed store told me I could feed scratch to the chickens during the winter when they are not laying. Is this ok?

Can baby chicks be fed "flock raiser" which is 20% protein and is it ok for regular chickens who are laying?

Thank you

Quote:
I think scatch would keep them alive but would NOT be healthy for them.

As far as pellets I think they will adapt BUT you might see a change in egg flow while they get use to the new feed. I believe you are better to use the pellets if you can get them converted.

My chickies only eat pellets now
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom