crumbles vs pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by momoftwinsinwi, Sep 16, 2009.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    my layers won't eat the pellets, hubby bought them not knowing that I was only feeding them crumbles....will they eventually eat it?

2. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    They will adjust! In the meantime, the pellets can be broken down a little in a blender or food processor so they more closely resemble crumbles. The birds would probably love you if you moistened the pellets with a little yogurt, or applesauce (or just water in a pinch). I would probably serve them wet pellets each day and gradually reduce the amount of moisture in the mix until they will eat the dry pellets. I tend to spoil my birds! [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would expect so but it may not be immediate. I switched mine from crumbles to pellets and they immediately started picking the pellets out and leaving the crumbles behind. I mixed the two thinking it would make the transition easier. Silly me.

If you have crumbles left, you might try mixing them. Or you could break some pellets up, maybe with a wooden mallet, rolling pin , whatever, or break some up in a blender, then mix them.

Once they figure out it is food, they will eat them. Hard to imagine chickens not trying to eat anything they can get to, but they are strange and wondrous animals.

4. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Mine are the opposite... they HATE the crumbles lol but that is all they get atm till the babies can eat the layer pellets.

They will get used to it...might have to ease them into it tho as was suggested. Could try just mixing them as mentioned...mine will eat anything if it is in cottage cheese or yogurt [​IMG]

5. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I had the same issue with this spring's young ones. I mixed scratch in with the pellets after breaking the pellets up a bit, and gradually reduced the scratch "bait."

6. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Mine prefer the pellets. They waste way less too. I would give them a chance to get use to them. [​IMG]

7. Cluck Addict

Cluck Addict New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    Hello,

The feed store told me I could feed scratch to the chickens during the winter when they are not laying. Is this ok?

Can baby chicks be fed "flock raiser" which is 20% protein and is it ok for regular chickens who are laying?

Thank you

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Scratch does not replace layer feed for the layers. It is a treat.

9. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Quote:I think scatch would keep them alive but would NOT be healthy for them.

As far as pellets I think they will adapt BUT you might see a change in egg flow while they get use to the new feed. I believe you are better to use the pellets if you can get them converted.

My chickies only eat pellets now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by