Crusty Butt *Repeat Question* Sorry *

Tricia's Triple Z

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 7, 2007
I Know That This Is a Repeat!
Does anyone else have any home remedy for this. I am unable to get out. I was told to use baby wipes on my older chickens, but I am not sure if it will soften the poo or if it will be alright for the babies. I like the tampon idea and that I can do but how to avoid it again. Will a warn clothe be ok, I don't want her to get a chill.
Also, what causes this and how do I avoid it?
Thanks

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean dried poo on the butt blocking the pooping of more poo? lol

All I do is run some luke warm water in the sink and take a wash cloth with warm water and hold it against the dried poo until it softens. then just pick if off. If you're careful, you can trim the butt feathers with nail scissors to keep the area clean.

I run warm water in the kitchen sink in a slow trickle and hold the little chick's butt under the stream. It washes it away easier than rubbing it off with a cloth. Hold the butt downwards because if it blows you will have a stream of poop to shoot across the kitchen. LOL

When clean and dried you can put a little vaseline around the vent to keep it from sticking next time.

Keep a check on the chick and clean as needed.

Are you or have you given the chicks any sugar water? That can be one cause of it. Other causes can simply be shipping stress, a little upset tummy from learning to eat and digest food, all of this among other things undetermined.

Have fun with your chicks!

Thank You for the info.. I guess I have to do some chick bathing now;)
They are 3 days old, I just wanted to add that.

Back
Top Bottom