Crusty eggshell

taliadm12

Hatching
Apr 17, 2017

I'm not sure what's going on with these eggs? One with what seems to be extra "crusty/crumbly" shell and then another today with the same issue except I noticed a small "hole" and when I touched it the "crusty/crumbly" part just came off? Help please!

I'm not sure what's going on with these eggs? One with what seems to be extra "crusty/crumbly" shell and then another today with the same issue except I noticed a small "hole" and when I touched it the "crusty/crumbly" part just came off? Help please!

Well some hens lay "deformed" eggs and some of those grow out of it. Just do not mix oyster shells with their feed----you can have some in a dish some where if you want.

Last edited:
I was also thinking calcium deposits based on some previous research I did. I add an egg layer supplement mix to their feed, wondering if I should leave that out for a bit? It only seems to be happening with one of our hens so I'd hate to be leaving it out completely?

I was also thinking calcium deposits based on some previous research I did. I add an egg layer supplement mix to their feed, wondering if I should leave that out for a bit? It only seems to be happening with one of our hens so I'd hate to be leaving it out completely?

If you are feeding a factory Layer feed-----you do not need to mix anything else with it. Some do give ground oyster shells, free choice. I rarely do and I have had 27 different breeds at one time---about 200 hens----no problems with the eggs. Just using a good layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom