Crusty eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jakell2010, Nov 2, 2011.

1. jakell2010

jakell2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    One of my buffs had a crust over its eye so thick that it wasn't able to open it, also one of Wyandottes haves been sneezing, and one of my red sex links has a bubbly eye,,,,

Should I inject the whole flock with Tylan,,,,,,a. Bit extreme for a possible cold?,,,what about an antibiotic in the water?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I t does sound like a respiratory disease going around the flock. I'm not sure what I wound do. I would start by checking out which respiratory disease match the symptoms, I suppose. Here is a link that I have found to be helpful http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with scratch'n'peck. It's most likely a respiratory disease, possibly infectious coryza or mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) If you smell a fowl odor about the head/nostril areas of your birds, it's coryza. Otherwise possibly MG. Scroll down in the link that scratch'n'peck provided and read up on Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and read about them and their treatments if you wish. Your other option is to get blood drawn from one of your sick birds and have it analyzed to verify what disease you're dealing with. Of course your other option is to cull sick birds and disinfect everything they were in contact with...feeders, waterers, roosts etc....

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Tylan is often used for respiratory infections, but I would just treat the symptomatic ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by