crusty feathers

Dechau

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Hi all. this is my first time on the forum. Im looking for some advice on Gus Gus, my cochin bantam. since this weekend he seemed a little less active and unsocial. he hasnt been crowing as much either. Wednesday I noticed his one eye is swoolen and he isnt able to see out of it. I was able to examine him more yesterday and also noticed all the feathers on his back between his wings look kind of crusty and maybe a little greasy. any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

can you put a pic on your personal page so I can go look at it.

He might have mites in the feathers. As far as the eye , may be a cold that he has caught. They cleaning him and using seven dust on him, and then maybe a round of antibiotics as a preventative......just wash that eye out with warm saline solution and treat him for infestation.
If his immune is down you can try scrambled eggs with 1-2 tablespoons of buttermilk in it and some poly v sol in his water. This will help boost his system... Best luck and here is a BUMP in hope someone else can help too
wink.png

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
soryy Gus,Gus isn't feeling well. Not sure on the swollen eye alot of different things could be going on there, is it discharging and liquid? has he any discharge from nostrils? have you looked closely at the eye to see if he has an injury? a bit of neosporin in and around the eye might help. if you feel it's infection maybe some Terrimycin eye ointment, about the greasy crusted feathers, have you looked him over good for lice or mites? but not sure what could be going on about the greasy feathers. I'll go get you a couple links and post them so you'll have something to read up on.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=283904

Last edited:
Thanks all! Ill try to take some pictures of his feathers to show them. its hard to explain. I have some seven dust on hand luckily. so he will get some tonight. as far as his eye goes... its only the one and he didnt seem sneezy or to have any discharge or to be shaking his head either like Ive seen with colds but I have him sone vet Rx in the nostril since we had some really wet weather here to be safe but Ill wash it with some saline when I get home as well. Ill keep you posted on his progress.

hi guys. Im having some issues posting a photo of Gus's feathers but I was able to grab him last night when he was roosting and examine him better. Yep! There were some little creepy crawley bugs. I dusted with the seven dust-roosts and laying boxes too. But I seperated him until his eye clears up i little. he bumped into a lot of stuff yesterday I noticed. I dont want him being picked on. Its swollen still and i did him scratch it. Not really sure what that means. Since he is penned up Im going to warm compress it tonight and see if it helps any. Ill repost with an update. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom