Crying Chicks, please help

YourLostSock

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
I have two chicks- a Buff Orpington and a Salmon Favorelle, that are about 5, maybe 6 days old. Until now, they have been not too loud. But starting today, they have cried so loud I can hear them from across the house. Temperature is at 98*. They quiet down and will happily trill when in my arms and nestles into my hand. But as soon as I stop or put them in the brooder they cry. I understand they might be lonely but I’d really like to avoid getting more if at all possible- the only reason we have these two is because one was sick and abandoned in a sale bin by itself and we couldn’t leave it. We already have 5 others that are now four weeks old. They never were really that loud.
But I digress. I have read other treads and nothing really helps besides holding them. I put a stuffed animal in but they ignored it. I will try a mirror in the morning but don’t have one readily available right now. It’s 2am and they’ve kept me up for three hours now. What can I do?

Is there not a way to set it up so they can be within sight of the others, but partitioned off enough to heal up? They are looking for the pack right? But maybe you are afraid of them being injured by the others?

Partition might work, or like jail cells next to each other. Maneuvering the heat lamp to hit both partitions for this might be tricky. But the other older ones might need less heat by now anyway.

It seems like chicks and chickens like to just tip stuff over and make messes so you may need to put some weight on the partition cage within a cage to keep them from messing with it.

Its hard to see what you've got, but maybe you can do a plastic milk crate with a brick on top (or something like that), with it upside down with them inside it next to the others, with their own food and water. They will be able to see and feel the others but hopefully not get bullied to death.

I'm not an expert.

Maybe someone else can tweak this a bit more, just to make sure I don't miss anything. And I wouldn't want it to get messed up and you blame me either.

We could consider this a hypothesis in the works.

if they were older, id say just throw in some thawed frozen corn, but since their so little, thats not the best idea. Make sure they have fresh, CLEAN water (mine always like to alert me when theyve dirtied theirs up) a stick or two to roost on, (what i always do is pick them up and let them roost on my finger, and once they figure out the enjoy sitting that way, theyll be content roosting chickies). Make sure they can get to their food. Id say the biggest contriversy with rasing chicks is their temp, so i always put a heat sorce on one side with food in the middle and water on the cool side, and just watch wether they huddle or stay away fro, the heat, and then ajust. It also kinda simulates (kinda) the mother hen becuase theyll have "exploring time" and then, when they get cold, theyll go back to their mamas for heat when needed. Looking not from a chicken standpoint, but an "aww" standpoint, they might think your their mama. My friend Carla just got 6 day old chicks and they start chirping like crazy when shes not there. If they do think youre the mother hen, first off, thats adorable, second off, thats adorable! but it can be annoying, and im sorry but i couldnt help you with that. Just try making them as comfy and happy as possible <3

I have two chicks- a Buff Orpington and a Salmon Favorelle, that are about 5, maybe 6 days old. Until now, they have been not too loud. But starting today, they have cried so loud I can hear them from across the house. Temperature is at 98*. They quiet down and will happily trill when in my arms and nestles into my hand. But as soon as I stop or put them in the brooder they cry. I understand they might be lonely but I’d really like to avoid getting more if at all possible- the only reason we have these two is because one was sick and abandoned in a sale bin by itself and we couldn’t leave it. We already have 5 others that are now four weeks old. They never were really that loud.
But I digress. I have read other treads and nothing really helps besides holding them. I put a stuffed animal in but they ignored it. I will try a mirror in the morning but don’t have one readily available right now. It’s 2am and they’ve kept me up for three hours now. What can I do?
That sound really irritating, I mean who can stand a very noisy group of chicks? But I hope they're ok. I hope they're not sick. :(

i've heard of many stories, where the chicks have imprinted on someone, and cry when they leave the room, maybe take them out of the brooder for a few minutes, and see if they follow you. If they do it means they think you're they're mom! and they will be incredibly tame chickens, they see you as the mother hen! I would trade places! I would love to imprint on chicks 😉. good luck! maybe lover the temp as well... lower it 5 degrees every week.

Last edited:
Temperature, food and water.
One of these things is off.
Observe if they avoid the heat source or huddle under it. Place the chick starter and water away from the heat source.
Two chicks are fine together. I dont think they are cheeping becUse they miss their friends. Were they peeping loudly in the feed store?
I also think your temp should be dropped, but if you watch the chicks they will tell you for sure.

Back
Top Bottom