Crying Ducklings!

samuelsonfarm

Chirping
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Hi all,
We have two ADORABLE week old ducklings we hatched ourselves. These little guys have imprinted on us and cry constantly if weare not in view. At night they are crying constantly since the broader is in our living room. Does anyone have any tips on how to make them more independant, or what we can do to reduce their anxiety while we sleep? I'd movie the broader into our bedroom, but I don't think I'd sleep a wink with all of the peeping and the light of the heat lamp. I hate to think they are stressed out when we are away, but it sounds like the fire alarm is going off all night, bless.their hearts. Help!

Also, this may be for another thread, but eventually they silliness to integrate with our flock of 9 mixed breed/sex ducks. Any tips on what age to start introducing them, and how to go about it. We live in the frozen north, so I anticipate these guys will probably b indoors for the next 2mo.

Thanks!
Donna

A stuffed animal, a nonbreakable mirror, something that quietly plays music come to mind.

Also, go over their environment and think about what else might be causing anxiety.

Too hot or cold,
Draft
Something moving overhead (curtain, ceiling fan)
another household animal's presence
hungry
thirsty

My ducklings can't live without their mirror. If the mirror falls or I move it during cleaning they have a fit! They sleep in front of their mirror. They also loved their stuffed bear to cuddle and peck at.

Our 8 week old drake loves his mirror and always lays down so he can watch the other duck.lol. I think he would be depressed if it was not there. First thing I'd give the ducklings. A slipper (brown) fascinated Turbo for a while but his mirror was always his first choice. Just what we noticed. Turbo is imprinted on us too.

Back
Top Bottom