CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay - I'll start with some info...

It was first exported to England in 1850, and to North America in 1865, where it appeared in the first edition of the American Standard of Perfection in 1874. With an attractive appearance, the Houdan combines a number of distinctive features, giving rise to speculation about the breeds that contributed to its development. The Crèvecœur or perhaps the Polish is suspected to have given the Houdan its crest, and either the Dorking or the native five-toed fowl of France is thought have to resulted in the Houdan's five toes (most chickens have only four). As the actual origins of the Houdan predate modern agricultural writing, little can be said with certainty. Houdans have small earlobes and wattles hidden by the crest and feather bearding. Their combs are V–shaped in the American standard, and butterfly-shaped in the British, Australian and French standards.

In terms of plumage, the Houdan comes in two common color varieties: White and Mottled (black with white spotting). The white color was a later development. Originally a dual–purpose fowl kept for both eggs and meat, and for part of the 1800s one of France's main meat breeds, the Houdan today is primarily a rare show bird. However, with a fairly quick rate of maturation and the ability to lay a respectable number of white eggs, it is still occasionally kept in backyard flocks. Classified as a light breed, males are ideally supposed to reach 8 lb. (3.6 kg), and females 6.5 lb. (3 kg). It also comes as a bantam. (from Wiki)

Here are a few pictures of my Houdans. A few are a bit fuzzy because the hens didn't want to stand still well. Really like the one hens size

This is the pullet who is a bit younger, doesn't have the depth and has heavy mottling to her front half.

Finally the cockeral. I have two of them that have very good frame size, but we will see how much meat they put on the bones. I haven't measured the cockerals height, but I will try to tonight.
I should also mention and apologize for the crest feathers being cut. I cut them during the winter to cut down on lice issues and ice forming on the feathers.

You can use frontline, but consuming eggs from the hens gets a bit hazy from a legality standpoint. I would feel safe eating them myself but any unlabeled use of a product on a laying hen means lawfully you cannot sell the eggs for consumption for 30 days which is why I do not use frontline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom