CT here? Anyone else?

crazychick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Hi there New Englanders-just getting our feet wet in raising chickens for fun and profit, and hope to gleen from the more experienced out there. We are in the shoreline area of the state, w/3 acres, or what you might call a hobby farm.
We hope to allow our chicks to free range in the day time and return "home" as the sun goes down.
Love to chat w/others in the area-and possibly hook up for some layers to get us started.

Crazy! I am in Durham, grew up on the shoreline! Let me know if I can be of any help! Work on the shoreline!

There are plenty of CT people here--they will be around!

Need a rooster!! ??
lol.png
lol.png

I may have some layers....but there is the Durham livestock auction every Monday. I got started there with my layers. Any backpage and craigslist have had some recently, as well as bargain news. FYI! Porbably to much information at once!

Welcome!!! I live in the middlesex county. I have chickens and ducks. Good luck with your new hobby/farming. When you get it to make a profit let me know how. We started the hobby to eat bugs and fertilize the gardens.

Hi crazychick!
I'm in lower CT. I just started keeping chickens last spring and am totally hooked. Town wouldn't let me convert to a farm, so I'm just doing it for personal eggs and fertilizer.
There is a CT chickenstock coming up in June. Look in the chickenstock forum and you'll see it. I think members will be bringing chickens to trade/sell, so you may have luck there. And get to "talk chicken".
yippiechickie.gif

Welcome!
Terry

Thanks to all-I feel so welcome to the brood!! I will keep my eyes peeled for chickenstock, and hope to see you all there. Looking forward to raising the chickens. Has some w/my sister at her farm, but will be a new experience attacking it on my own. I don't know if I'll make a profit on it-i thought of freerange chickens for meat selling, but don't know how I'd go about finding a butcher to sell them to-don't have the heart to do myself (even if I could).

I don't know if I'll make a profit on it-i thought of freerange chickens for meat selling, but don't know how I'd go about finding a butcher to sell them to-don't have the heart to do myself (even if I could).

I'm in the same boat! Let me know if you find anyone. I've pretty much exhausted my search. The closest I've found is a couple small poultry processors in PA - about 4 hours away. My next step was buying the "tools", cause it looks like I'm going to have to figure it out. I'd at least like to see it done before I attempt it. I'm guessing it'll get easier the more often you do it, and may appreciate the birds even more? Really not looking forward to my first attempt...
th.gif

Terry​

hi
new member, i'm in windham county too. we got our first chicks three years ago, kindergarten special lol, hubby just agreed to more! we split an order with our neighbor, 31 are coming june 2, can't wait! we've decided on ducks this spring, still deciding what breed. going to have to learn more about this chickenstock thing......

Welcome KierBri!

Thats great you are getting more chicks
yippiechickie.gif
- and nice you found someone to split an order with. What are you getting? Have fun with the ducks. Cute as anything, but I've heard they are messy buggers.

Post some pics of the chicks if you get a chance.
Terry

Back
Top Bottom