cuckoo brahmas

John Ryan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Galway, Ireland

im gonna try to make cuckoo brahmas, so id really appreciate advice from experienced breeders how i should go about it. i know colour comes from the cock and body type from the mother but thats about it.....
i already have a maran x brahma cross cock, brahma body and maran colour and i want to breed more of him

any help that experienced breeders can give me is appreciated

im gonna try to make cuckoo brahmas, so id really appreciate advice from experienced breeders how i should go about it. i know colour comes from the cock and body type from the mother but thats about it.....
i already have a maran x brahma cross cock, brahma body and maran colour and i want to breed more of him

any help that experienced breeders can give me is appreciated

Thats easy... just cross that rooster back to brahmas.... take the best offsprings(that look cuckoo, black barred) and cross it yet again to brahmas.. repeat untill you believe you have a cuckoo breed that looks just like a brahma, once you are there all you have to do is cross siblings(cuckoo male x cukoo hen)

once you are there all you have to do is cross siblings(cuckoo male x cukoo hen)
thanx for the advice nic, however, i thought u werent supposed to mate siblings, i was told go no closer than father to daughter and mother to son but never brother to sister. can u explain why the sibling mating please {ill never learn if i dont ask}
hu.gif
idunno.gif

thanx for the advice nic, however, i thought u werent supposed to mate siblings, i was told go no closer than father to daughter and mother to son but never brother to sister. can u explain why the sibling mating please {ill never learn if i dont ask}
hu.gif
idunno.gif
sibling mating is not bad at all, many breeders do it when they have 2 exceptional birds, but in your case the sibling mating will be because at this stage your cuckoo roosters will be heterozygous for the sex linked barring gene, and when mated to a none barred hen you will produce 50% barred chicks(males and females) and 50% none barred males... but I dont know thats really up to you, you see heterozygous barring can also look good...

very nice, nice young birds too, combs still developing... ummm... think ill get eggs from u instead lol
tongue.gif

heres a pic or two of my cuckoo brahma roo

hes as big as my gander (thats him in the middle of the pic with the grey on his back)

got two black brahma hens and two silver (dark as you americans call them ) brahma hens, one of which is badly marked but i dont mind as its the fathers colouring im after. penned the blacks and silvers in different coops so i can see what results from from each crossing.

Back
Top Bottom