Cuckoo Maran Bloodline

Ryder

Songster
Oct 16, 2018
Ozark Missouri
I have a cuckoo maran rooster but he is 1/2 cuckoo and 1/2 black maran but he does not any black feathers. If I breed him to a black hen would those chicks from him be cuckoo or black?

I have a cuckoo maran rooster but he is 1/2 cuckoo and 1/2 black maran but he does not any black feathers. If I breed him to a black hen would those chicks from him be cuckoo or black?
They would be black... recessive for the barring gene... Figuring his dame was the cuckoo and his sire was the black... very typical sex linked cross... all males should get the barring in this cross and hatch with a white spot on their heads. (talking about your current cross not future generations).

Your black offspring (F1) bred back to the cuckoo boy (F0) or each other will produce some cuckoo offspring and some solid black (F2). Maybe 50% in the following generation.

Sorry if I just confused you... sometimes it's hard to put my thoughts in order. :oops:

Drawing a punnet square can help you see the outcome, you might google it. And here is a fun little toy, the second drop down tab is in English..
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

It doesn't account for any leakage of say red and such, but gives a good basic ideal of what your offspring will be looking like.

BTW... a cuckoo Marans will have about HALF black feathers, not none. :p Pics always welcome! ;)

They would be black... recessive for the barring gene... Figuring his dame was the cuckoo and his sire was the black... very typical sex linked cross... all males should get the barring in this cross and hatch with a white spot on their heads. (talking about your current cross not future generations).

Your black offspring (F1) bred back to the cuckoo boy (F0) or each other will produce some cuckoo offspring and some solid black (F2). Maybe 50% in the following generation.

Sorry if I just confused you... sometimes it's hard to put my thoughts in order. :oops:

Drawing a punnet square can help you see the outcome, you might google it. And here is a fun little toy, the second drop down tab is in English..
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

It doesn't account for any leakage of say red and such, but gives a good basic ideal of what your offspring will be looking like.

BTW... a cuckoo Marans will have about HALF black feathers, not none. :p Pics always welcome! ;)
Yes you did confuse me. So you are saying that when I breed him with a black hen the male chicks will be cuckoo and the blacks will be hens? I would us that chicken genics but i do not know how to use it.

Yes you did confuse me. So you are saying that when I breed him with a black hen the male chicks will be cuckoo and the blacks will be hens? I would us that chicken genics but i do not know how to use it.
No sorry...

when you breed him (your cuckoo male) to a black hen... ALL offspring will be black regardless of male or female... but recessive for barring (meaning hidden gene you cannot see that they can possibly pass onto their next generation offspring depending on what they are bred to). If you breed these first generation BLACK chicks (recessive for barring meaning hidden) BACK to the barred male... you will get some barred offspring and some solid black offspring (I think), but they still won't be sex linked in that generation either.

The sex linking that will give all cuckoo males and black females... requires the male be the solid dark color and the females to be cuckoo/barred. The opposite of what you currently have.

Mzwartuitgebreidkoekoek.JPG
zwartuitgebreid.JPG

Fast Summary
50% Pullets, black unicolor*E barred
50% Cockerels, black unicolor*E barred

The *E barred... in this instance means recessive/hidden gene for barring.

thanks so much!!! I'm wanting to get a black rooster so I can breed that black rooster with the black hens and get pure black chicks. The reason I'm doing this is because they are a rare breed.

thanks so much!!! I'm wanting to get a black rooster so I can breed that black rooster with the black hens and get pure black chicks. The reason I'm doing this is because they are a rare breed.
Nope.. not really a rare a breed in my opinion.. if you are willing to spend a few dollars more than typical hatchery chicks. But they are available at MANY hatcheries.

Are you looking at breeding black copper or just black? Do your birds have feathered legs?

You can breed any of your black chicks from this mating to your black hen and get ALL black offspring.

I have been working with Marans, black copper for a few years now... getting GOOD quality is difficult... and you MUST hatch and eat a LOT of chicken. Rare birds don't sell as much as popular breeds... in my experience and the most important thing I have personally learned is to choose a breed that YOU absolutely LOVE... as there is NO such thing as getting rich quick and it's VERY much a labor of love. Covering your cost of keeping the birds you like is a much more attainable goal.

Have you seen or used this website yet? It's a great source of information... Please NOTE that your ROOSTER has heavy impact on your egg color... which is KEY to many people who want the breed.
http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/

Good luck, quality stock is a GREAT goal! :highfive:

We actually have the black copper, wheat - my favorite, cuckoo, and black. but the rooster was a cuckoo and we wanted more of every kind but we could only get the cuckoo kind because he was cuckoo. And yes they have feathered legs. Now once I have my black rooster established can I do the same thing to get a wheaten maran?

About half the female offspring will be cuckoo and about half will be black.
About half the male offspring will be single factor barred and about half will be black.
Single factored means carries one barred gene double factored would mean two copies of the barring gene.
Barring is sex linked so females can only have one copy so they are either barred or they aren't.
Males can be single factor barred, double factored barred or none barred.
Barred isn't recessive and can't be carried sight unseen. If it has it it shows. Except of course on a white bird.

Barred isn't recessive and can't be carried sight unseen. If it has it it shows. Except of course on a white bird.
Thanks for clarifying. :highfive:

Now once I have my black rooster established can I do the same thing to get a wheaten maran?
I doubt that it is how it works. :confused:

I have bantam wheaten Ameraucana and have to say it's a beautiful color. I love how the males look so different than the females... :love

Sounds to me like you are in for some fun! :thumbsup

Your black or future black should be extended black/extended black. Your Wheaten is Wheaten/Wheaten. So that cross will produce extended black/wheaten. You cross two of those chicks together about 25% will be wheaten/wheaten.
Cross one of the chicks back to a wheaten then about 50% will be wheaten/wheaten.
Other genes may come into play though. Your black could be gold or silver based. Wheaten are gold based so if the black is silver based that will throw a wrench into things. Could be other genes that could come up to.
It can be done but how easily depends on the black which I don't know the exact make up genetically on.

Back
Top Bottom