Cuckoo Maran Gender

BEggRN

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
(North Atlanta) Georgia
20200609_074614.jpg
20200609_074611.jpg

This is my 8 week old Cuckoo Maran; sold as a pullet. She's much larger than my Barred Rock and Buff Orpington that were purchased at the same time, and her comb/wattles are more developed, but her feathers seem rounded. Her coloring is similar to my Barred Rock; possibly a little more white, especially on the chest. Any concerns she is a he?
Thanks from a paranoid chicken mommy.

Looks like a cockerel to me... He’s not very red but I haven’t seem a 2 mth old pullet with that much comb... They don’t get sex specific feathering yet, so they’ll still be round.

Boo! 😞 I was worried that may be the case. I actually thought he was trying to crow a couple of mornings ago, but he's so young, and I haven't heard it since.
I would't give up just yet. The cuckoo marans hens are black with white and the roos are white with black, if that makes sense! Marans hens in general have pretty good sized combs. I am no expert, but looks like a pullet to me!:)
Some hens make a sound that can sound like a weak crow, too! We have one and she sounds quite pathetic!
Give it some more time.
Photo I found of a hen, note larger red comb then the average chicken!
cuckoo_maran_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom