1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Cuckoo Maran sexing help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by terricksa, Jun 30, 2010.

1. terricksa

terricksa In the Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ok I think this one is a pullet but not positive. The comb is very red but not nearly as big as the ones that I know are roos.

[​IMG]

And this one I think is a roo, but not totally sure. The comb leads me to believe roo but the color is darker than the roos I have.

[​IMG]

Any help is greatly appreciated.. Gonna have to get rid of the roos soon.

Also these birds are ~9 weeks old

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Hey!

Do you think these might be mixed? That first one, though it has female coloring, could be a black sex link male. We had one like that that I thought for sure was a girl but ended up being a boy - that comb/wattles is really big and red for so young...

The other one is certainly a boy - in coloring and comb. A big boy !!!

If they are not mixed, then # 1 would be a girl....

3. slackwater

slackwater Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I agree - if they are both pure Marans, then you have a pullet in the first pick and a roo in the second.

4. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chirping

Jun 15, 2010
    I am looking to get some few day old chicks... any idea how to tell which is which on the cuckoo marans? Some of the chicks are very dark- not even white on the head, and some seem to be lighter. Thanks!

5. stampntam

stampntam Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I am no expert, but I was told the lighter ones are roos and the darker ones are pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by