Cuckoo Marans chick sexing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fluffpuffgerbil, Apr 10, 2014.

1. fluffpuffgerbil

fluffpuffgerbil Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been seeing that Cuckoo Marans can be sexed as young chicks by down colour+leg wash(?) +dot on head? I know nothing's set in stone or exact, especially when it comes to hatchery/feed store chicks.

I just picked this little girl up today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's probably a few days old. I shouldn't be paranoid this soon but already I like this chick a lot and already have to get rid of my current rooster.

It's from a hatchery/feed store so I know rules are a bit wonky with those. All of the cuckoo marans had big head spots I believe and all were sexed as pullets. I didn't look too hard at this breed picking one out, I just told the lady I'd get one and she grabbed it, I looked it over, okay'd it, and here we are.

It's probably way too early to know for certain, but thought I'd ask anyway *rooster paranoia*

2. fluffpuffgerbil

She looks more black in person to be honest, my camera's flash washes out colour a LOT

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    So far looks female to me. Not a purebred expert though.

Best wishes.

4. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I always thought it was the smaller the "dot," the better chance it was a girl. I can't remember exactly what my babies looked like, but I ended up with more roos than anything else, and remember seeing more large head dots like this little one has. Go back and grab ya another one now with a teeny spot and you will have a better chance of getting a girl. You should be able to tell better once the feathers come in......the cuckoo pattern is MUCH more defined in the boys and very dark and muted out in the girls. I had 7 babies from the hatchery.....one died before I knew what it was, but I only ended up with 2 girls out of the other 6. (The 4 boys went to be dinner. LOL!)

5. fluffpuffgerbil

Uhoh. It does seem to have a lot of personality too. Maybe instead of buying another marans I could see if they have their polish in =P I wad hoping Kenna would look either like a girl or too young to sex. Her wings are pretty light, too... but everything I've read says large headspot=boy. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks

6. Saerasx

Saerasx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    Beaverton, OR
    Any updates for your little marans?

7. Cyan Night

Cyan Night Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks like a boy to me :/
    But hopefully it'll be a little girl!

8. Saerasx

Saerasx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    Beaverton, OR
    Any opinions? "She" is on the bottom there

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Sae, I would guess girl.

10. clankeyes

clankeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Ferndale , WA
    So I am interested in the DOT theory .... I have 2 cockoo marans that are 5 wks old. I bought them from a gal the day they arrived from a hatchery. She stated they were all Pullets.
    WE will see I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by