Cuckoo Marans Coloring Question

Cheers2Ya

Songster
Apr 9, 2016
North Dakota
Hi! I have a Cuckoo Marans that was my "free rare" from a hatchery order. I'm sure since he's from a hatchery, instead of a breeder, his coloring my not be perfect. But I'm wondering why he has a gold sheen to his black and whiteness? Is that what is referred to as 'color leaking'?

It's really difficult to capture in pictures, but is seen well with the eye. I hope you can see what I'm talking about, though.

Attachments

• 20181026_103447.jpg
    20181026_103447.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20181026_103456.jpg
    20181026_103456.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 26
Is that what is referred to as 'color leaking'?
Yes, that would be red leaking through I *think*. Looks like kind of a fun crazy pattern. :love

So their "rare" cuckoo Marans don't have feathered legs? :rantThat makes me crazy... cuckoo seems to be the most widely available color in the Marans. I see them at feed stores all the time for around $4. NONE with feathered legs... Talk about marketing BS. I doubt their egg color is anywhere close to the (French) standard of perfection. :barnie

Looks like the standard may allow for slightly different coloring in the males... I only raise black and blue copper but I see it referred to as straw color in this link...
http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/cuckoo-marans.html

Being someone who strives very hard for excellence in my breeding stock... I can say that leakage happens to breeders to and not just hatchery birds. At least getting hatchery... you basically now what to expect... and it usually doesn't include disease!

I really have good luck with the demeanor of my Marans roosters so far. I like them a lot! :pop

Yes, that would be red leaking through I *think*. Looks like kind of a fun crazy pattern. :love

So their "rare" cuckoo Marans don't have feathered legs? :rantThat makes me crazy... cuckoo seems to be the most widely available color in the Marans. I see them at feed stores all the time for around $4. NONE with feathered legs... Talk about marketing BS. I doubt their egg color is anywhere close to the (French) standard of perfection. :barnie

Looks like the standard may allow for slightly different coloring in the males... I only raise black and blue copper but I see it referred to as straw color in this link...
http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/cuckoo-marans.html

Being someone who strives very hard for excellence in my breeding stock... I can say that leakage happens to breeders to and not just hatchery birds. At least getting hatchery... you basically now what to expect... and it usually doesn't include disease!

I really have good luck with the demeanor of my Marans roosters so far. I like them a lot! :pop
Thank you for the reply EggSighted. He's a great rooster, no issues with him at all. I was just curious about the gold-like look and couldn't find any info on it.

How old is he? I wonder if maybe he's a hatchery quality Golden Cuckoo Marans?

Hi Kiki, thanks for the reply! I got him in a day-old shipment March 2 this year. Who knows what he's supposed to really be?! haha

Edited to say: I went back to MM website and it looks like Cuckoo Marans is the only variety they sell. I found a short blurb about Black Copper Marans, but none for sale.

Last edited:
How old is he? I wonder if maybe he's a hatchery quality Golden Cuckoo Marans?
Ya, when I was thinking about this outside... I wondered about the leakage actually being gold and not red. Seems like *maybe* they are gold or silver based. :pop

Really I don't know much... just enough to be curious, have some fun, and maybe create a little confusion. :oops: So don't take my word on this subject... but you might use it as clues for things to look at on your learning adventure. :wee

Back
Top Bottom