Cuckoo Marans - hackle coloring

mikden

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Shenandoah Valley
Is a Silver Cuckoo Marans supposed to have gold or brown on their hackles and bleeding through their feathers?
this one has the most off colors coming in
50003_p1010321.jpg

all seemed to have some of this coloring
50003_p1010318.jpg

I got these marans at chicken meet locally @ 8 weeks of age... 2 males and 5 females... they are very friendly, but boy what piggies they are!

Is a Silver Cuckoo Marans supposed to have gold or brown on their hackles and bleeding through their feathers?

No​

:DHi Chris, Would the females possibly be a mix breed cuckoo or do you think they're a general mixed breed? The reason I ask is that the gentleman that sold them to me said they were all of the same hatch and that they were cuckoo marans. I didn't pay much for them and the females can always go into the layer flock.
Here's a few pictures of the males from this purchase....
50003_p1010336.jpg

50003_p1010327.jpg

50003_p1010323.jpg

Quote:
Just a question here since I am just learning about Marans. Isn't the American standard clean legs and the French standard feathered legs? Or is the American standard moving towards the French standard? Sorry if I am showing my ignorance here
hide.gif
wink.png

Quote:
Just a question here since I am just learning about Marans. Isn't the American standard clean legs and the French standard feathered legs? Or is the American standard moving towards the French standard? Sorry if I am showing my ignorance here
hide.gif
wink.png

the clean leg are what everyone refers to as English, The American and French Marans standard are very similiar but are not the same. Don

Well if I was a betting man I would bet that they all are a cross of colors.

It looks like the Cuckoo patterned is a male and the Brown Red's [Black Copper Marans] are females so, I am thinking that they could be a sex-link if they are all from the same hatch.

[ Brown Red's [Black Copper Marans] Male over Cuckoo Females would give you offspring that are -- Males Cuckoo and Females Brown Red's [Black Copper Marans]

Chris

Back
Top Bottom