Cuckoo Marans - Hens or Roos

wcstory

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
Mashpee, Cape Cod, Massachussetts
OK, out of our first hatching I think we got mostly roos, but can you help verify. 1-9 are Marans and 9-12 are Wyandotts

If I understand correctly. Cuckoo Maran Pullets will be darker, Roos will have lighter color with heavier legs. All advice appreciated!

#1 - Roo?

#2 - Roo

#3 - Roo

#4 - ??

#5 - ?

#6 - Pullet

#7 - Pullet

#8 - Pullet

#9 - Pullet

#10 - Roo

#11 - ??

#12 - Pullet

Thanks in advance

"With Cuckoo Marans both sexes can have yellow spots on top of the head, but the male chicks have a larger splodgier yellow spot/patch, and the girls have anything from a few bits of yellow fluff to a small spot. It is fairly easy to distinguish between them if you are observing several chicks of each sex. The dark colouring on the boy chicks tends to be a smokey grey/black, whilst the dark colouring on the girls is almost black.
Each sex has a slightly different barring (stripes) pattern.
When they start to feather up the girls look noticably darker due to their stripes being closer together and an even width apart(dark grey/black stripes are the same width as the light grey/white stripes) The boys have a wider margin of white/pale grey between the darker grey stripes giving an overall lighter effect. "

Here are pictures of a pullet and roo cuckoo marans from chick to adult. Side by side for comparison.
http://www.broodyhen.co.uk/ket/fowlnotfoul/MMplus/chicks/maranchicks2000.htm

That last one's yellow spot is HUGE! The barring is nicely defined but I'm not real sure about the wing color......
gig.gif

Nice pics, I have a chick that kind of looks like the ones that are roos, I'm not sure if he's a barred rock or a marans.. That link above is very helpful, too...

Back
Top Bottom