Cuckoo Marans*Jersey Giant*Spitzhauben*Brabanter*Fayoumi & more in OK

Quote:
Yes, the spitzhauben's are still laying fairly consistently. They are good cold weather birds, originating in Switzerland.

That is too funny, a guy I work with is an Elvis impersonator.

Should have had it in Aurora, lol. I coulda gotten you a good deal....
big_smile.png

I will be going to OKC around Christmas, would you be up for a two week notice on eggs?

Easter Eggers (pen has several colors of Ameraucanas together)
Brabanter (cream & gold in same pen)
Apenzeller Spitzhauben

Cheri

Last edited:
Quote:
Definitely send me a pm to see if the girls are still laying. You just never know what they'll do in cold weather. If I remember correctly, the Brabanter and Spitz were still laying last December, as they are very cold hardy birds, but I didn't have the Easter Eggers last year.

I'm amazed there's so many Elvis impersonators around. Yeah, it would have been cheaper to marry & honeymoon in Branson, MO.

Do your spitzhaubens lay double-yolkers?? Some of those eggs were crazy long. Between those and the Marans the eggs are so big they almost touch the fan in my incubator. My broody leghorn is enjoying her group of eggs. I gave her 7 and 2 went to my friend's broody jungle fowl.

Last edited:
Quote:
The next time I see a longer egg, I'll crack it open & see. I know we've had some Jersey Giant eggs that were double-yolkers, but never noticed the Spitzhaubens laying any yet. I usually take out any extra large or mis-shapen eggs, because I've heard that they won't usually hatch. Unfortunately, I didn't inspect the eggs before my husband wrapped them up. I sure hope you have a great hatch!

We are back as of last night from our Vegas trip, and yes, most of our birds are still laying, although many have slowed way down. The Jersey Giants are still laying well, as are the Turkens.

Back
Top Bottom