Cuckoo marans or cuckoos?

sandh72

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
We have just hatched these 5 cuckoo maran chicks - or at least that's what we were told the hatching eggs were. But we seem to have 2 blonde cuckoos in the nest! Any thoughts on what they may be, or is it too soon to tell? I am assuming that they are not cuckoo marans!!!

Based on what little we know about cuckoo marans we think that we could have 2 boys and a girl (one slightly darker in colour, one blurry white patch rather than two patches, two with white wing tips beginning to come through . . .). And one has darker coloured legs than the other two, if that's relevant. Do you think that we are right?

Photos taken when they were only a couple of days old, they are now about 10 days old so may try to get some better individual pictures to show them off better.

51864_dsc04643.jpg
51864_dsc04651.jpg

51864_dsc04645.jpg

Heehee, I'm very sorry, but your post made me laugh since wild Cuckoo birds are known for substituting their babies in another bird's nest.

They're all very adorable. You might want to contact the person you got the eggs from and ask them if they also have white Marans. That would be my guess for your unexpected babies.

Back
Top Bottom