Cuckoo marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken 34, Feb 19, 2012.

1. mainechicklet

mainechicklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    On the Bagaduce in Maine
    I adopted IRIS a month ago from a sanctuary who rescued her from a farm animal hoarder. She's still pale but significantly healthier than a month ago. She started laying 6-7 darkish brown eggs/week on Christmas Day.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. I believe she is a cuckoo maran hen. (The French national flower is the iris and all my hens are named for flowers.)

2. waldeneffect

waldeneffect Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    southwest Virginia
  3. mainechicklet

Dec 10, 2013
    On the Bagaduce in Maine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]I'm still thinking she's a marans, even after reading your blog. She is not barred, but rather is more speckled. And she has pink legs, not yellow. The first pic is of two of the hens I rescued along with Iris.......... Sunflower and Orchid. I'm just astonished at how red their combs/waddles are now. When they came to me they had almost no color, they were so malnourished and dehydrated.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

She is a Cuckoo Marans

5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Has anyone tried to make meat bird crosses, sex linked by using a cuckoo marans with a rhode island red?

6. mainechicklet

Dec 10, 2013
    On the Bagaduce in Maine
    Not me. I'm a vegan with the exception of my own rescued hens' eggs. They will live with me until they die of old age.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What would be the reasoning for sex linking a meat bird? My mind says you sex link so you can cull the males early and not have the expense of raising them.

8. IrishEyes45

IrishEyes45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2014
    Jamestown, NC
    How do you tell the difference between the Cuckoo Maran and the Barred Rock? They look very similar.

IrishEyes45

9. mainechicklet

Dec 10, 2013
    On the Bagaduce in Maine
    Welcome IrishEyes45! I get to answer your first post! Actually I won't, but look at post #72 of this thread. That might be helpful.

10. IrishEyes45

IrishEyes45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2014
    Jamestown, NC
    Thanks so much for the help on the "Cuckoo Marans". I checked her legs and she has pink legs so she is a lovely "marans". I'm very happy about it! If I wanted any more of this breed, I guess I would have to purchase the chicks. We don't have the same breed of rooster.

IrishEyes45

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by