Cuckoo marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken 34, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ChickenMasque

ChickenMasque Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    UK
    Oh my goodness, that is one seriously gorgeous Cuckoo Maran! At what age did the comb become so big? Mine's was really small even after 20 wks plus

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. ChaboEmelie

ChaboEmelie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    Sweden
    Thank you :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. ChaboEmelie

Sep 26, 2013
    Sweden
    Hi there guys! What do you think of this little chicken... Does he/she look purebreed & what do you think the gender is??
    Thank you in advance
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess is Barred Cochin cockerel or a Marans x Rock. Reason: yellow legs, feathered shanks, straight comb.
    Not a Marans, or at least not a pure bred, since they should have white/pink legs. Not a barred Rock since they shouldn't have feathered shanks.

ETA: ugh, single comb.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 yep, he's a rooster.

6. chickenjim1

chickenjim1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    canton GA
    My Coop
    Roster for sure looks like cross but he is a nice looking chick

7. Barred Cochin chick. I'm gonna say cockeral, but depending on the age could easily be a hen. Cochins have big combs, for some reason. Lol.

8. ChickenMasque

ChickenMasque Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    UK

Hello, there! I'm not sure what breed mix that is, but I'd say he was a cockerel - and he's very sweet-looking.

9. ChaboEmelie

Sep 26, 2013
    Sweden
    Hi guys, thx so much. Just my thinking, my pekin bantam rooster is the father to this sweety..... darn it!! :) I saw the yellow legs, looked to my bantam rooster with a suspicious eye ;) He/She is 4 weeks here, I also think it is a roo, the comb is pretty big and "he" is very dominant! LOL

10. ChaboEmelie

Sep 26, 2013
    Sweden
    This is "his" mother.. A very nice looking maran... And I who was thinking my Pekin roo was not "ready" yet.... Hmpff, i was wrong.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by