Cuckoo silkie breeding - Barred rock and white silkie?

All4Eggz

Jesus Loves You🌵
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
I'm planning on "making" cuckoo silkies from my barred rocks and white silkies. Will it work?

I have a pure barred rock roo and 2 pure white silkie hens. Just culled the silkie roo a few weeks ago because he was being bullied and we needed to make space for other roosters.

I also have barred rock hens, but I don't think they'd be a help if we don't have a silkie rooster.

How will the chicks turn out? Will they be considered "cuckoo" silkies?

TIA.

Last edited:
I'm planning on "making" cuckoo silkies from my barred rocks and white silkies. Will it work?

I have a pure barred rock roo and 2 pure white silkie hens. Just culled the silkie roo a few weeks ago because he was being bullied and we needed to make space for other roosters.

I also have barred rock hens, but I don't think they'd be a help if we don't have a silkie rooster.

TIA.
Depends on the genetics. Dominant white Silkies often hide another color (typically partridge). I don't know a LOT about genetics, but I do know that the F1 cross won't even have "silkie" feathers and will be smooth. So no, a generation one cross would not be a Cuckoo Silkie, which I think you already know. I think Cuckoo is barring, but on a fast feathering bird, but others should be of much more help than me. Also, it might be a good idea to post pictures of your birds.

As for anything beyond the very "basics", these members may be able to help:
@The Moonshiner
@nicalandia
@Amer
@LadiesAndJane

First generation cross, certainly not.

A son from that, crossed back to his Silkie mother, might produce some birds that look like Silkies with black feathers and white barring. But they will probably not look like good Silkies (check for feather quality, crest, comb type, number of toes, color of skin, overall size, body shape, and so forth.) And they will probably have some leakage of other colors (instead of the plain black with white barring that you want.)

You would most likely need several more generations, with various matings among the crosses and the original Silkies, to get birds that have good looking cuckoo birds that also have all the right Silkie traits.

Depends on the genetics. Dominant white Silkies often hide another color (typically partridge). I don't know a LOT about genetics, but I do know that the F1 cross won't even have "silkie" feathers and will be smooth. So no, a generation one cross would not be a Cuckoo Silkie, which I think you already know. I think Cuckoo is barring, but on a fast feathering bird, but others should be of much more help than me. Also, it might be a good idea to post pictures of your birds.

As for anything beyond the very "basics", these members may be able to help:
@The Moonshiner
@nicalandia
@Amer
@LadiesAndJane
Thanks for the tag.😊
It will take several generations of breeding to achieve a bird with all the silkie attributes and the cuckoo coloring.
Cuckoo in silkies is still considered a project color. It has been difficult attaining the proper comb color especially.

Here are some pictures, not sure if they help.

The cockerel is young, still, waiting for him to be old enough for breeding (spring)

20211207_160814.jpg
20211207_160821.jpg
20211207_160826.jpg
20211207_160828.jpg
20211207_160832.jpg
20211207_161520.jpg
20211207_162511.jpg

Mother and daughter ❤️ So cute!

Question:
If I were to breed the barred rock roo with the two silkies, would the chicks at least come out silkie feathered?

Back
Top Bottom