white silkie roo mixed with a barred rock sex link?

chickiefun

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 18, 2014
I was just given two 5 day old chicks that are black/grayish with some black and
gray barred feathers coming in. The barred rock hen hatched one chick earlier which was yellow and has a strong black and white barred feathers coming in. We are hoping that we indeed have two females. Also if we do have females how will their egg laying/size be?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

That should indeed be a sex link cross. I can't see in the pic well enough to tell, but any chick with a white/cream spot on top of the head will be male. Males from this cross will be barred, females non-barred.

That's why im a little confused the other chick was completely opposite in color yellow and yellow legs with distinct black and white barred feathers on its wing. Where these two have blackish skin but resemble the more typical barred rock chick.

Last edited:
A barred hen crossed to a white rooster wont necessarily create a sexlink. A white bird can have hidden genes and carry other colors or even barring besides just white and pass them on so unless you crossing pure white to pure white other colors can show up.

I dont think this cross is an ideal sexlink cross.

Some one please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I forget about that pesky white. I thought silkies were recessive white, not dominant, but I may have been messed up. PM username nicalandia, or search his old posts, he had posts about sex linking silkie crosses with yellow-skinned birds, the offspring can be sexed by skin color I think it was...can't recall. He was talking about crossing silkies and leghorns, maybe that will help you narrow down your search.

At least one turned out to be boy as it began crowing at 12 weeks old and was getting cream feathers on the wing
! The other looked just like it but was getting black shinny feathers and was slightly smaller. I gave them away as a pair. Super sad they had the cutest mohawks.

Yeah, I forget about that pesky white. I thought silkies were recessive white, not dominant, but I may have been messed up. PM username nicalandia, or search his old posts, he had posts about sex linking silkie crosses with yellow-skinned birds, the offspring can be sexed by skin color I think it was...can't recall. He was talking about crossing silkies and leghorns, maybe that will help you narrow down your search.
This is correct., I remember reading something about htis. I believe a silkie rooster crossed to any yellow legged(or skinned) hen the offspring will indeed be sexlink by the color of the skin. pullets will be dark legged/skinned and males will be yellow legged/skinned.

Thats what was confusing, they appeared to have black legs but then they began growing the barred feathers. As they got older their legs were dark grey with a yellow tent. But I think you are correct that they are both boys. I wish I could have kept them I would have loved to see how their feathers grew in. But once thr larger one found his voice he tried to keep up with the song birds. I didn't want the city called on me so I gave them away.

I also see how the leg tone was confusing but with the yellow tint they would be boys. Pullets would have have solid dark almost black legs, skin also. My guess is those 2 boys had light skin.

They were very handsome though.

Back
Top Bottom