Barred Rock father and Buff Orpington mother - sexing chicks?

Jaine

In the Brooder
May 19, 2022
Hello - this is the second hatch from this cross - the first 3 that hatched in July had 2 barred roosters (looked like female barred rocks with dark legs and feathers until around 5-6 months old) and a buff hen, this time i have 8 chicks that hatched in November - 5 are buff or mainly buff with speckles and 3 are black barred - they are around 8 weeks old - two have combs already but not sure about the others will add pics but just wondered if anyone knew if the white ones would be female and the black ones male? Sounds too easy! Thanks

Hello - this is the second hatch from this cross - the first 3 that hatched in July had 2 barred roosters (looked like female barred rocks with dark legs and feathers until around 5-6 months old) and a buff hen, this time i have 8 chicks that hatched in November - 5 are buff or mainly buff with speckles and 3 are black barred - they are around 8 weeks old - two have combs already but not sure about the others will add pics but just wondered if anyone knew if the white ones would be female and the black ones male? Sounds too easy! Thanks
Sex linking by barring works the other way around.
Solid Rooster X Barred Hen = Barred Males, & Solid Females.

But from the description of your roosters, is they're probably Black Sex-links, not pure Barred Rock.

Here are some pics of the chicks and the 2 roosters from the first hatch which look different to their father in that they are much darker - there is a pic of one of the barred rock males too. Can anyone help identify if male or female for the chicks - i am thinking the 2 with combs are males for sure.

Attachments

• Tree Roosters.jpg
    Tree Roosters.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Chicks white roo?.jpg
    Chicks white roo?.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Chicks roo?.jpg
    Chicks roo?.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 18
  • chicks roo hen?.jpg
    chicks roo hen?.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 17
  • chicks hens?.jpg
    chicks hens?.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Chicks 1.jpg
    Chicks 1.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 17
  • Chicks 2.jpg
    Chicks 2.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 15
  • chick quiff.jpg
    chick quiff.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Goliath.jpg
    Goliath.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 12
Here are some pics of the chicks and the 2 roosters from the first hatch which look different to their father in that they are much darker - there is a pic of one of the barred rock males too. Can anyone help identify if male or female for the chicks - i am thinking the 2 with combs are males for sure.
Adult males first two pictures aren't Barred Rocks. Unless these are the Buff Orpington/Barred Rock crosses?
I get confused easily sometimes.

Last picture at the very bottom is a Barred Rock.

All of the chicks are males, & have crests. So not crossed with Buff Orpington.

Last edited:
I've done this sex linking cross with Buff Orpington rooster X Barred Rock hens.

Male Buff Orpington/Barred Rock cross.
received95504911940040811-1.jpg
Buff Orpington/Barred Rock cross hen.
20201106_202845.jpg

Adult males first two pictures aren't Barred Rocks. Unless these are the Buff Orpington/Barred Rock crosses?
I get confused easily sometimes.

Last picture at the very bottom is a Barred Rock.

All of the chicks are males, & have crests. So not crossed with Buff Orpington.
Beautiful Rooster - Thanks yes thats what i meant those 2 Roos are the first hatch from July for the BR and Buff cross the chicks are the second hatch from Nov. Do you think all the chicks are male? Not just the ones with the combs? I actually dont think the hen is a buff orpington now - i call her buff as she is a buff colour but she does have a crest so i was thinking the females would be the ones with the crests? Here she is thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0697 copy.jpg
    IMG_0697 copy.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 21
Beautiful Rooster - Thanks yes thats what i meant those 2 Roos are the first hatch from July for the BR and Buff cross the chicks are the second hatch from Nov. Do you think all the chicks are male? Not just the ones with the combs? I actually dont think the hen is a buff orpington now - i call her buff as she is a buff colour but she does have a crest so i was thinking the females would be the ones with the crests? Here she is thanks
Thanks.
Okay.

Second picture looks like 2 pullets, but it's not as well lit as the first. Crests have nothing to do with the sex of the chicks.

Your hen is most likely a strain of Easter Egger by the looks of it.

Back
Top Bottom