Chick identify and gender.

loulusea

Chirping
Apr 10, 2024
Central Florida
Can anyone tell me what they think this gray black and white chick's breed is? And then does anyone want to take a guess at what this 2 to 3 week old buff orpingtons sex is? Do you think it's a male or a female?

Thank you šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• PXL_20240412_235831488.jpg
    PXL_20240412_235831488.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20240411_004456639.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20240411_004456639.MP~2.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 23
Can anyone tell me what they think this gray black and white chick's breed is? And then does anyone want to take a guess at what this 2 to 3 week old buff orpingtons sex is? Do you think it's a male or a female?

Thank you šŸ˜Š

For the Buff Orpington, I think it is too young to tell yet.

For the one that is gray, black, and white: it might be a Silver Laced Wyandotte or a Silver Laced Sebright, although there are other possibilities as well.

I can't see the comb or the feet, and both of those can give useful clues about what breed the chick is (Wyandotte and Sebright should both have rose combs, Wyandotte would have yellow feet while Sebright feet are a blue/gray color.)

Do you know if the chick is a bantam? Sebrights are bantams, Wyandottes can come in both standard and bantam size, there are some other breeds that come in just one size or the other.

For the Buff Orpington, I think it is too young to tell yet.

For the one that is gray, black, and white: it might be a Silver Laced Wyandotte or a Silver Laced Sebright, although there are other possibilities as well.

I can't see the comb or the feet, and both of those can give useful clues about what breed the chick is (Wyandotte and Sebright should both have rose combs, Wyandotte would have yellow feet while Sebright feet are a blue/gray color.)

Do you know if the chick is a bantam? Sebrights are bantams, Wyandottes can come in both standard and bantam size, there are some other breeds that come in just one size or the other.
Thanks for your reply! The black and white one is a bantam ā˜ŗļø that's exciting it could potentially been a sebright. I'll take a look at the feet color tomorrow!

Also the buff orpington has humongous legs! She may be just a big girl if not a roo. Any particular things to look out for with Buff orps as they are growing?

Also the buff orpington has humongous legs! She may be just a big girl if not a roo. Any particular things to look out for with Buff orps as they are growing?
For sexing, I would mostly watch for the comb and wattles to get bigger and red.

That happens in most males between about 4 weeks and 12 weeks, while females wait until they are almost ready to lay eggs (16 weeks and up.)

But the humongous legs sound unusual. That may mean the chick is not really a Buff Orpington. Or it may just mean that large chicks are much bigger than bantams. Maybe post a few more photos of that chick?

For sexing, I would mostly watch for the comb and wattles to get bigger and red.

That happens in most males between about 4 weeks and 12 weeks, while females wait until they are almost ready to lay eggs (16 weeks and up.)

But the humongous legs sound unusual. That may mean the chick is not really a Buff Orpington. Or it may just mean that large chicks are much bigger than bantams. Maybe post a few more photos of that chick?
Thank you so much. I'll post some more tomorrow!

Attachments

• PXL_20240411_004458461~2.jpg
    PXL_20240411_004458461~2.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240411_003928537~2.jpg
    PXL_20240411_003928537~2.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom