I think it is a cross of Buff Orpington and Barred Rock.
The Barred Rock gives the genes to make a chick black all over.
Some Buff Orpingtons have a gene that turns all black into white.
Result: mostly-white chick.

As it grows up, it will probably be mostly white but have a few black dots here and there, and it may have some gold or red leakage too.
I agree.

It's been a long time since I posted. I am sorry to say that Nugget didn't make it. They were 6 days old when we went out to the coup to check on them, and they had passed, they were perfectly fine a couple hours ago and we have no idea what happened. There was no clear cause of death. Nugget was missed and the Hen in the picture, Elizabeth mourned for some time.

On a more positive note, Elizabeth has hatched and raised another chick (not her own) that did survive to adulthood. They are a 8 month old rooster named Muffin. I will try to take some pictures of him to show soon.

It's been a long time since I posted. I am sorry to say that Nugget didn't make it. They were 6 days old when we went out to the coup to check on them, and they had passed, they were perfectly fine a couple hours ago and we have no idea what happened. There was no clear cause of death. Nugget was missed and the Hen in the picture, Elizabeth mourned for some time.

On a more positive note, Elizabeth has hatched and raised another chick (not her own) that did survive to adulthood. They are a 8 month old rooster named Muffin. I will try to take some pictures of him to show soon.
Thanks for updating!

Sad to hear about Nugget :( But glad Muffin did well :)

I'm bad with updates but here is a couple pictures of Muffin, in one he is 4 days old, in the other he is 8 months old. Our chickens have an enclosed coup that they sleep in, from dawn to dusk they are free range. Or I think pasture raised is the better term. They all love taking dust baths and stealing the cat/dog food that is outside.

Attachments

• baby muffin.png
    baby muffin.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
  • grown muffin.png
    grown muffin.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm bad with updates but here is a couple pictures of Muffin, in one he is 4 days old, in the other he is 8 months old. Our chickens have an enclosed coup that they sleep in, from dawn to dusk they are free range. Or I think pasture raised is the better term. They all love taking dust baths and stealing the cat/dog food that is outside.
Thank you for updating! He was a cute chick, and has grown into a handsome cockerel!

I think his mother must be one of the Barred Rock hens, and of course the Buff Orpington rooster is his father.

The Barred Rock gave the black with white barring, and also the Silver gene (turns gold into white). The Buff Orpington gave genes to reduce the amount of black and let more gold/silver show. Muffin is showing Silver (not gold) because that came from the Barred Rock, and is dominant over the gold gene inherited from the Buff Orpington. If you hatch more chicks from this cross, sons will look like Muffin, and daughters will be black and gold (no Silver, no white barring.) So they will be color-sexable, probably at hatch and definitely by the time they grow very many feathers.

Back
Top Bottom