Cuckoo silkie questions for silkie color Guru's :)

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I have 12 cuckoo silkie eggs in the bator. On day 6 so far out of the 12 I see 9 developing. I bought these eggs from a breeder from ebay who got his from a BYC member now sure who it was I'd have to look it up again. He has three cuckoo hens cuckoo cock and 1 cuckoo split black pullet in this pen. He said the skin was dark to a white coloring. I plan on breeding these back to my nice blacks with great crest and foot feathering and black skin. Whats my chances of the OS from my nice blacks to these cuckoo coming out with darker skin?

breeding black to cuckoo will darken the skin. however as the bird matures the skin will sometimes lighten up here are some pics I bred this roo
38899_100_1104.jpg

to this hen
38899_100_1214.jpg

and found this in my bator this morning
38899_100_1398.jpg

38899_100_1399.jpg

the skin on this baby is darker than the light colored baby for now but may lighten up over time

Quote:
Hi! I don't think there is such-a-thing as 'cuckoo split black'. They are either have the barring gene and are barred (cuckoo) or not.
I bred this roo
38899_100_1104.jpg

to this hen
38899_100_1214.jpg

and found this in my bator this morning
38899_100_1398.jpg

38899_100_1399.jpg

the skin on this baby is darker than the light colored baby for now but may lighten up over time

Precious, precious, precious!!!!
I don't see any head-spot indicating the chicks inherited barring.

smile.png

Lisa​

Quote:
There isn't - and the way its stated above would indicate that the bird is "cuckoo split to black", which isn't possible to my knowledge. If being "split to cuckoo" were possible, the term would be "black split to cuckoo", not the other way around. Sometimes a "/" is used to indicate a split as well, and in this case it would be "black/cuckoo". But being split to cuckoo isn't possible, so forget what I just said....
wink.png

Here's the deal: Barring is dominant - if you can't see it, it isn't there. Barring also affects skin/comb/wattle color and it is very difficult to get dark skin/comb/wattles with this gene. Roosters can be single or double factor barred - hens can only be single factor - here are the scenarios:

Single factor barred rooster x non-barred hen = single factor barred and non-barred offspring of both sexes
Single factor barred rooster x barred hen = single and double factor barred males, barred and non-barred females
Double factor barred rooster x non-barred hen = single factor barred offspring of both sexes
Double factor barred rooster x barred hen = double factor barred males and barred females
Non-barred rooster x barred hen = single factor barred males and non-barred females (sex linked)

That said, Teresaann24, don't be surprised if you get some non-barred chicks from those eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom