Cuckoo silkie questions for silkie color Guru's :)

Let me go re-read and post what he said about the black.

ETA: He said (I have 3 cuckoo hens and a black hen that is half cuckoo in with a cuckoo rooster.)

Last edited:
Quote:
love.gif
I want a SG cuckoo!

Quote:
A hen cannot be "half" cuckoo. I suppose one could call a male bird with one copy of the gene that, although it would be an unusual wording, but it is not possible for a female to be "half cucko--she either IS or IS NOT.

Quote:
Technically incorrect; a single gene (barring) causes both.

So there is honestly no way of making the skin black?

Add lots of melanizers, select and select and hope or the best.

Quote:
A hen cannot be "half" cuckoo. I suppose one could call a male bird with one copy of the gene that, although it would be an unusual wording, but it is not possible for a female to be "half cucko--she either IS or IS NOT.

So could it be he is lying or just does not understand how it works? He sent me pictures the black hen just looked like a normal black silkie hen.

Quote:
Still makes no difference--it is black, not cuckoo. My bet is he does not understand. I have heard over the years a number of times of people saying that barring can "hide." Only if all black pigment is turned OFF by white, and then ALL colours hide.

Quote:
Still makes no difference--it is black, not cuckoo. My bet is he does not understand. I have heard over the years a number of times of people saying that barring can "hide." Only if all black pigment is turned OFF by white, and then ALL colours hide.

I too think he just does not understand I myself didn't understand till you explained it. So she could be from a cuckoo breeding pen but she is not half cuckoo because she is not cuckoo colored but does she carry the cuckoo gene?

Also wanted to add I have a little gray SG hen if I added her to a cuckoo breeding pen would I get cuckoo SG Os from her?

Back
Top Bottom