Cuckoo silkie questions for silkie color Guru's :)

Quote:
Still makes no difference--it is black, not cuckoo. My bet is he does not understand. I have heard over the years a number of times of people saying that barring can "hide." Only if all black pigment is turned OFF by white, and then ALL colours hide.

I too think he just does not understand I myself didn't understand till you explained it. So she could be from a cuckoo breeding pen but she is not half cuckoo because she is not cuckoo colored but does she carry the cuckoo gene?

No, she doesn't.
Also wanted to add I have a little gray SG hen if I added her to a cuckoo breeding pen would I get cuckoo SG Os from her?

What is a cuckoo SG O?
smile.png

Lisa​

If the barring gene is present is WILL show. If it does not show, the bird is NOT cuckoo (unless as previously stated, the bird is white and all colours and patterns are turned OFF--and then you have no idea what the white might be masking).

Barring is a sex-linked gene. Of the sex-linked chromosomes, male birds have two copies of the long sex-linked gene: Z; female birds have one long Z chromosome, and one shorter W chromosome, that is missing some of the genes that are on Z, such as barring, silver/gold, choc and other sex-linked genes. A hen CANNOT have but one copy of any of the genes because there is no place for it. That would be like expecting a person to have a third hand or a second mouth--there simply is not a space for a second copy of a sex-linked gene on a female avian--it is an impossibility.

Quote:
I too think he just does not understand I myself didn't understand till you explained it. So she could be from a cuckoo breeding pen but she is not half cuckoo because she is not cuckoo colored but does she carry the cuckoo gene?

No, she doesn't.
Also wanted to add I have a little gray SG hen if I added her to a cuckoo breeding pen would I get cuckoo SG Os from her?

What is a cuckoo SG O?
smile.png

Lisa​

x2?

Using grey, you would be introducing the penciling pattern into the mix--IMO, it would create a mess, and neither pattern would be clear, especially on a silkie feathered bird.

SG OS= Show girl Offspring...LOL

So gray a no go...

Black showing no barring is not cuckoo or cuckoo mix or carrying cuckoo gene correct?

Ok I don't know where I'd be without you good BYC peep's
smile.png

Quote:
Correct. If you can't SEE barring, it isn't there - the only exception would be a white bird, in which case, white would COVER (or mask) the barring, as it would any other color/pattern.

Quote:
Or a blue would work, too.

Quote:
Correct. If you can't SEE barring, it isn't there - the only exception would be a white bird, in which case, white would COVER (or mask) the barring, as it would any other color/pattern.

Quote:
Or a blue would work, too.

Thanks, I'v been doing some searches on breeders of black and blue Showgirls.

Back
Top Bottom