Cuddle chickens????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bikerchic, Dec 6, 2011.

1. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I am curious if anyone has a certain breed of chicken that is more loving than others? I have a phoenix that will come running to be picked up. She also will hold her legs up, so you can't put her down. My polish also seem to like to be held. Anyone else have certain breeds they have noticed like cuddling?

2. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    HOW SWEET!! My buff orpingtons are very tame and come running to me, too. Mostly because they know I have some kind of a treat for them!! They are known for being very calm and friendly with people. I just love mine!! They remind me of puppies.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So sweet! I have two cuttle-bugs! A cream Brabanter, named Petite Miss. She DEMANDS to be held. And she will fly onto your head if you don't pay her the proper attention, which is cradling her in your arm, and rubbing her neck.....She closes her eyes in bliss....

Then there's my little bantam frizzle Cochin, Little Blackie.....She just loves to be cuddled on. And she's about the size of a guinea pig. She runs to me every day when I come out.....I've often thought of making her a house chicken......

4. bikerchic

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I also have a frizzle bantam cochin who's very loving. She's in the house right now because she's on antibiotics for a cold. She's very petite as well. Smaller than my silkies. I have to keep her away from everyone else because they torture her. She's so meek and mild. If I can continue to keep her in the house without DH throwing a fit, that's where she will stay!!

5. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    my silkie is the sweetest chicken ever! she love to be held and when I put my hands down near the ground she comes running. definitely a big difference from the way my other chickens behave, they only come running because they think I have food or treats

6. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Aww, maybe he won't notice?....I won't tell.....

Aren't they just adoreable with their messy feathers? She is SOOO SOFT! I just love petting her. And she's an ornery little stinker. She somehow manages to sneak out of their fence all the time. And when she runs, she's so funny....YOu can't see her feet and she's so darned fast. Cutest thing EVER! I actually have two, one is a mottled frizzle bantam Cochin, and she's a little bigger than Little Blackie. Not as lovable, either.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

They're both on the plastic bin.....

7. bikerchic

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    They are gorgeous! My frizzles curls are real tight. Looks like she just took out those little pink rollers. She's missing a huge spot of feathers on her back where the silkies tore them out. I figured the silkies would be nice to her, but nooo they torture her too. I think they are jealous of the curls.

8. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:You know that's it! They want curls like she's got......[​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My BO has been my only cuddler (that wasn't food motivated) until recently. It's surprised me that two of my young girls who really enjoy being petted and scratched on my lap are an EE and a hamburg. Now, my hamburg is a flighty little thing in that she's skittish when you walk up. But if you sit down, she's there on your lap in a heartbeat, tucking herself down against your arm. One of my little EEs is that way too. My only previous experience with EEs was that they were friendly and inquisitive, but not cuddly. Sometimes, when I'm petting on one of the little girls, my big BO girl will come up and start pecking my leg (and pecking at the pullet) to chase them off, then she'll hop up. It's probably a territorial thing, but it sure feels like jealousy...lol. [​IMG]
    chicmom - that mottled frizzle mop of a cochin is gorgeous!!

10. bikerchic

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    They all have very distinct personalities! Sweet feathered friends!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by