Cull him, or wait for protection?

Pics
I'm reading your original post, it was worded as though he has only recently become aggressive. This is what I am talking about when I say it is a teenage hormonal phase that many roosters experience.
I think you are missing the point about the weapons. we are not telling you that carrying weapons to defend yourself started it, we are telling you that you are exacerbating it. The more he attacks and you defend, the more you are engaging with him as a combatant. This is teaching/ reinforcing to him that you and he are foes and that you are a threat to his flock. When mine were teenagers, I wore heavy gloves, jeans, and protective clothing to grab and subdue them. They learned eventually.
It doesn't sound like you have any experience in calling and I would recommend that you offer him to someone who is experienced with roosters. A change of home and scenery might be the thing to do to break him of his nasty phase, and some people do take in roosters, work with roosters and train them. Even if they decide to cull him, it will likely be a better experience.
And i agree with his rescent behavior being blamed on adolescent hormnes, which is the only reason i have streached my patience with him this long. I fully understand that he is a rooster and its his nature and instincts. I hate the idea of punishing him for simply being a rooster, however, its more dramatic and serious than i may being painting the image of. He is a dangerous animal with very violent attacks. Its not as simple as a normal flog. He attacks to kill, not warn. And as far as the weapons go, if theyre teaching him anything, its that they are the boss, not him. Id much rather have weapons call his bluff than have advise that the weapons are a no no are are what keeps provoking him because it simply isnt true in our situation. The weapons right now are the only things that are "training" him or helping. He has slacked off on stalking attacks tremendously with weapons in hand.

I'm reading your original post, it was worded as though he has only recently become aggressive. This is what I am talking about when I say it is a teenage hormonal phase that many roosters experience.
I think you are missing the point about the weapons. we are not telling you that carrying weapons to defend yourself started it, we are telling you that you are exacerbating it. The more he attacks and you defend, the more you are engaging with him as a combatant. This is teaching/ reinforcing to him that you and he are foes and that you are a threat to his flock. When mine were teenagers, I wore heavy gloves, jeans, and protective clothing to grab and subdue them. They learned eventually.
It doesn't sound like you have any experience in calling and I would recommend that you offer him to someone who is experienced with roosters. A change of home and scenery might be the thing to do to break him of his nasty phase, and some people do take in roosters, work with roosters and train them. Even if they decide to cull him, it will likely be a better experience.
I see where this is coming from, but you cant just let a rooster attack when you have children running around. Its not an option to just wait it out. A little kid could get seriously injured by an attacking rooster.

I see where this is coming from, but you cant just let a rooster attack when you have children running around. Its not an option to just wait it out. A little kid could get seriously injured by an attacking rooster.
Agreed. At one time I thought I would need a hit man. Now, I'll Kiss them upside the cranium with an aluminium baseball bat, if that's what it takes.

That is such poor advice.

Tap on a clip to paste it in the text box.
What I mean here is that its not worth it. Its possible to train a rooster but it is a lot of work and effort. I would rather use him for meat. For a lot of us we only have so much time in the day to get things done and keep the freezer full. There are plenty of roosters to go around most end up being eaten anyways. I eat plenty of chicken so any mean rooster is just gonna go with them. I will pick out the best rooster when I need one.

My 14 month old EE Roo has became pretty aggressive this Spring. He has a flock of 14 hens. He is constantly in attack mode. I have my bluff in on him with a rake now, but my children are targets. Weather is warming up so naturally my 3 and 4 year old want to play outside on their trampoline and stuff. Obviously they can't comfortably with him and he has to go. What is the best way to cull him? I'm very seriously considering a shotgun at the moment, I'm so sick of him. Problem is, my flock is 100% free range and and are only go in their coop to lay and roost. Im affraid my hens will be vulnerable to predators without his protection. We are on a 40 acre pasture farm and we have alot of coyotes. Should i maybe build them a run instead of free range, without his protection? Im not sure how much "protection" he does anyways since i keep his spurs and nails trimmed short to keep my kids from serious injuries. Even though he cant do much damage, it still dont stop him from attacking and it still dont keep my kids from being stalked, tortured, and terrified. Or just leave the hens free range and hope the predators stay clear. Id HATE to have them penned up, but id also hate to lose them as their egg production is a business. The hens well being is the priority, my mind is made up that Rusty has to go.. Opinions? Thoughts? Advice?
Hi Songster ,
I had a very similar situation with the brother to "Rambo", my remaining rooster. Although brothers they had totally opposite personalities, Rambo is very protective and caring towards his hens and will even stand guard outside the nest box whilst they lay their eggs, yet he shows no sign of aggression to me, my wife or my son. His brother however was a nasty piece of work, he was very rough with the girls and drew blood on my arm & my sons leg and even flew at my wife's back as she passed by. I decided that he was not going to be part of my breeding stock, so I'm afraid he had to go, so I'm in total agreement With your decision. If you cannot obtain a better natured rooster, then perhaps electric fence could be used to keep predators at bay.

Hi Songster ,
I had a very similar situation with the brother to "Rambo", my remaining rooster. Although brothers they had totally opposite personalities, Rambo is very protective and caring towards his hens and will even stand guard outside the nest box whilst they lay their eggs, yet he shows no sign of aggression to me, my wife or my son. His brother however was a nasty piece of work, he was very rough with the girls and drew blood on my arm & my sons leg and even flew at my wife's back as she passed by. I decided that he was not going to be part of my breeding stock, so I'm afraid he had to go, so I'm in total agreement With your decision. If you cannot obtain a better natured rooster, then perhaps electric fence could be used to keep predators at bay.
An electric fence is a great option for preditors, however (lol), we already have electric fencing around all of our fields for the cattle. The coyotes are a bit smarter than we are. They always manage to find their way in. The cattle and horse do a great job at keeping them away. We've only seen one or 2 slip through. They are shot and we haven't seen any in a few months, but nighttime confirms there are still plenty out there, as we can hear them. We haven't lost a chicken to them so far, but my luck...

He is 14 months old. He is going through his hormonal/teenage phase. Most likely he will grow out of it. Lots of roosters do this. My best rooster had a couple months where he was really feisty. It hurts to get packed but every human will survive it. It's part of the cost and responsibility of having animals. Hens should never free range without at least one rooster, I would say two. It is just asking to have them picked off by predators.
Pick the rooster up and snuggle him. Walk around with him. Pet him. Do this as often as you possibly can. trying to find him off with the broom is only challenging him and making his behavior worse.
My hens free ranged for over three years without a rooster and I didn't have any problems.
Granted, I don't have many ground predators in my area, but lots of hawks.
What I mean here is that its not worth it. Its possible to train a rooster but it is a lot of work and effort. I would rather use him for meat. For a lot of us we only have so much time in the day to get things done and keep the freezer full. There are plenty of roosters to go around most end up being eaten anyways. I eat plenty of chicken so any mean rooster is just gonna go with them. I will pick out the best rooster when I need one.
:goodpost:

Posted this in another thread yesterday, so at least I'm consistent, right???

Quote -

"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out, that doesn't make it better, it makes it worse." Robert A. Heinlein

The same applies to chickens, whether hen or rooster. Either because prolonging a life of pain is no courtesy, or because some beast has demonstrated its inability to comport itself in civilized society. When one of the flock can't stop causing serious harm to another, delay only puts an innocent life in danger to the benefit of the aggressor.

The last kindness you can do is to ensure its ending is swift and somber, without joy or sorrow.

...as my only adult rooster discovered about 4 weeks back, setting my breeding project back months. He got a pass when he attacked me (once) while defending the flock (I was snatching the girls up to weigh them). When he attacked my wife as she came out to feed them?

- END Quote.

The Rooster pronounced Sentence on himself. I did my Duty to the flock by carrying it out. Then I made several excellent meals of him.

Last edited:
and as a follow up, your hens will keep laying, even with no rooster. If he's been doing the deed, your hens will keep laying fertile eggs for between several weeks and a month. (I could link to sources, but most agree three weeks +/- is a good estimate)

As I've already found myself, and recently, where I suggest you place your feet - short your main rooster - I would (and did) gather a dozen eggs, incubate to hatching, and select the best rooster (chances are, you will have a few) of that batch to carry on. Assuming your 14 laying hens were selected primarily as layers, chances are, they are early layers, meaning your new Roo should be ready to do his duty in about 5 months - three weeks to hatch, and about 4 months (18 weeks) more to maturity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom