Cull him, or wait for protection?

What is the best way to cull him? I'm very seriously considering a shotgun at the moment,
I haven't read the second and third page, don't think I have to. The best way is how you can. You are not looking at eating him, just to get rid of him. A shotgun works. Taking him off of the roost at night and killing him works whether that is a hatchet and stump, a killing cone and knife, pruning loppers or something else. I would not take the time to put him in a crate and try to find someone to take him and eat him. But however you can.

Im affraid my hens will be vulnerable to predators without his protection.
There is a lot of debate about how much protection a rooster actually offers. In my opinion they are mainly an early warning system against flying predators. They are practically useless against ground based predators. But that's just my opinion.

If you decide you really want a rooster go on the buy, sell, trade section of this forum and post an add with your "location and want a rooster" in the title. Or find your state thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section and chat with your neighbors. Get a mature rooster, not a cockerel.

must be for cock fights?
As sires or dame to cross with american type game breeds

20210413_095724.jpg

20210413_095949.jpg

I would get rid of the rooster. Here is a method I have never used. Looks efficient enough. Broomstick method. Then have chicken soup. :)

I have been there with aggressive roosters. Chasing my wife and daughter, the neighbors kid. I pen them then give them away or put them in the frigidaire.

From what I have read here in BYC if no rooster a hen will take over the leadership role. Alpha hen. Someone else can chime in on this.

I free range and have many predators. I also have a Brahma rooster. My rooster stays with the hens to a point, but the hens at times are spread out all over at times so the rooster does not provide protection all the time. SO far this year I have not lost any. I think I have lost more hens to getting broody and going into the woods to sit.
When free ranging there is always a risk of loss. The question is can you except the loss?

I have about 30 chickens free ranging at this time.
Hmm. That seems like a fairly simple way. No missing with an axe or hatchet or having to do it twice. Thanks!

I haven't read the second and third page, don't think I have to. The best way is how you can. You are not looking at eating him, just to get rid of him. A shotgun works. Taking him off of the roost at night and killing him works whether that is a hatchet and stump, a killing cone and knife, pruning loppers or something else. I would not take the time to put him in a crate and try to find someone to take him and eat him. But however you can.

There is a lot of debate about how much protection a rooster actually offers. In my opinion they are mainly an early warning system against flying predators. They are practically useless against ground based predators. But that's just my opinion.

If you decide you really want a rooster go on the buy, sell, trade section of this forum and post an add with your "location and want a rooster" in the title. Or find your state thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section and chat with your neighbors. Get a mature rooster, not a cockerel.
I actually am wanting to eat him. I don't want him to go to waste. Dispite hating him, lol, i also love him. (It's a love hate relationship). I'd feel better if he died for a purpose (for food) rather than because we didn't wanna deal with him anymore. Having him in our bellys atleast keeps him with us in the family, in some aspect 🤣

Hmm. That seems like a fairly simple way. No missing with an axe or hatchet or having to do it twice. Thanks!
Personally, I would bleed the chicken if I was going to eat it. I hang them from a post with some twine or rope, etc. Hang them by their feet so upside down and take a sharp knife, I use a razor blade knife and cut the arteries in the neck.
Then if you want to make quick work of it just skin it.
My opinion some of he roosters over a year old get a little chewy anyway. I boil them debone make different dishes from the meat.
Good Luck

His lack of human interaction is not the issue. I have hand raised these birds from day old chicks. He has been interacted with and handled plenty. He didnt become aggressive until recently. I understand that he is a rooster and thats his instincts, however, he will not come before my childrens safety and sanity. They have first priority in their yard, not him. Not culling him isn't the question and i dont think isolating him in a crate by himself is fair to him nor do i believe it would help. He don't need a time out. The question is how is the most humane way to do it, and do i need to pen the rest of them up to keep them safe, or continue to let them free range and hope for the best.
Quick Decapitation is best. My hens do not have a rooster...I keep my eye on them....so I guess I’m their rooster. Is there such a thing as teaching a rooster a lesson? Getting him in a tight hold and showing him your the boss? If not...he’s an animal and your kids are what counts. Quick....off with his head. 😆 or rehome him. But I don’t know too many people that want a protective mean rooster.

My 14 month old EE Roo has became pretty aggressive this Spring. He has a flock of 14 hens. He is constantly in attack mode. I have my bluff in on him with a rake now, but my children are targets. Weather is warming up so naturally my 3 and 4 year old want to play outside on their trampoline and stuff. Obviously they can't comfortably with him and he has to go. What is the best way to cull him? I'm very seriously considering a shotgun at the moment, I'm so sick of him. Problem is, my flock is 100% free range and and are only go in their coop to lay and roost. Im affraid my hens will be vulnerable to predators without his protection. We are on a 40 acre pasture farm and we have alot of coyotes. Should i maybe build them a run instead of free range, without his protection? Im not sure how much "protection" he does anyways since i keep his spurs and nails trimmed short to keep my kids from serious injuries. Even though he cant do much damage, it still dont stop him from attacking and it still dont keep my kids from being stalked, tortured, and terrified. Or just leave the hens free range and hope the predators stay clear. Id HATE to have them penned up, but id also hate to lose them as their egg production is a business. The hens well being is the priority, my mind is made up that Rusty has to go.. Opinions? Thoughts? Advice?
I would think you could find a roo from someone who has a spare. My first four hens were actually a roo and three hens. And my three ducks and a drake grew up to be two drakes and two hens. And if you hatch your own eggs you get some portion of roos and probably dont keep them all. So I would expect replacing him is the easy part.

I have a friend who grew up poor and rural, and they happily took my spare drake. Made a special family dish.
*I* would choose to get the mean roo out of there as fast as possible, and then find a spare roo from the nearby chicken community.

Back
Top Bottom