Cull him, or wait for protection?

Pics
My 14 month old EE Roo has became pretty aggressive this Spring. He has a flock of 14 hens. He is constantly in attack mode. I have my bluff in on him with a rake now, but my children are targets. Weather is warming up so naturally my 3 and 4 year old want to play outside on their trampoline and stuff. Obviously they can't comfortably with him and he has to go. What is the best way to cull him? I'm very seriously considering a shotgun at the moment, I'm so sick of him. Problem is, my flock is 100% free range and and are only go in their coop to lay and roost. Im affraid my hens will be vulnerable to predators without his protection. We are on a 40 acre pasture farm and we have alot of coyotes. Should i maybe build them a run instead of free range, without his protection? Im not sure how much "protection" he does anyways since i keep his spurs and nails trimmed short to keep my kids from serious injuries. Even though he cant do much damage, it still dont stop him from attacking and it still dont keep my kids from being stalked, tortured, and terrified. Or just leave the hens free range and hope the predators stay clear. Id HATE to have them penned up, but id also hate to lose them as their egg production is a business. The hens well being is the priority, my mind is made up that Rusty has to go.. Opinions? Thoughts? Advice?
I would never sacrifice the safety of my children for a chicken. Seems like an easy decision.

Roosters definitely seem to have individual personalities. I once had a RIR rooster who was a perfect gentleman, whereas I ended up with a New Hampshire Red rooster (both of these roosters were sexing mistakes in pullet orders) who turned out just like yours at about the same age. After several attacks, the last of which drew blood, I sold him. You might try a rooster of a known gentle breed like Cochins or Orpingtons, but even then there may not be any guarantees.

Cull. The thing with roosters being protective is overrated. They don't stand a chance actually preventing a coyote or stray dog attack--in my experience anyway. It's up to me to provide a secure environment for predator prevention.

My 14 month old EE Roo has became pretty aggressive this Spring. He has a flock of 14 hens. He is constantly in attack mode. I have my bluff in on him with a rake now, but my children are targets. Weather is warming up so naturally my 3 and 4 year old want to play outside on their trampoline and stuff. Obviously they can't comfortably with him and he has to go. What is the best way to cull him? I'm very seriously considering a shotgun at the moment, I'm so sick of him. Problem is, my flock is 100% free range and and are only go in their coop to lay and roost. Im affraid my hens will be vulnerable to predators without his protection. We are on a 40 acre pasture farm and we have alot of coyotes. Should i maybe build them a run instead of free range, without his protection? Im not sure how much "protection" he does anyways since i keep his spurs and nails trimmed short to keep my kids from serious injuries. Even though he cant do much damage, it still dont stop him from attacking and it still dont keep my kids from being stalked, tortured, and terrified. Or just leave the hens free range and hope the predators stay clear. Id HATE to have them penned up, but id also hate to lose them as their egg production is a business. The hens well being is the priority, my mind is made up that Rusty has to go.. Opinions? Thoughts? Advice?
Kill him and don’t hatch any chicks from his hens. Temperament is genetic and can be passed to offspring. There are way too many nice and respectful roosters out there to put up with an animal that try’s to attack you.

You mentioned you were able to trim his spurs and nails, so access to him doesn’t seem to be an issue. Our method is to put him in a “killing cone” and cut the jugular. After he bleeds out, into the scalder and then the plucker. Finally the soup pot. ANY threat to my granddaughter who lives with me is not acceptable or tolerated. Some roosters just don’t work out and that is a part of raising chickens. If coyotes are a concern, roosters won’t deter the threat. Since you free range your chickens, you understand that everything likes chicken. We keep ours in a predator proof run and let them out the last 3-5 hours every evening. They are friendly towards granddaughter and she is 16 months old. She is able to hand feed and mingle with all 18 chickens, including the two roosters. Every chicken keeper has a different setup that is unique to their environment. Whatever you decide, I’m sure it’ll be the best decision for your situation. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Rios can be train not to attack you
You just have to work with them a bit and remember that it is their job to protect the hens and young ones can get over zealous.
Rakes sticks and other objects of the like trigger an attack response so carrying those are training him to attack you.
When he goes to attack you
Face him and snag him gently by the neck then gently push his body to the ground .
Hold him in this manner till he stops struggling.
I always talk to him softly while I do this.
When he stops release him and remain in your stooped position . he will retreat. Repeat process as needed.

He is 14 months old. He is going through his hormonal/teenage phase. Most likely he will grow out of it. Lots of roosters do this. My best rooster had a couple months where he was really feisty. It hurts to get packed but every human will survive it. It's part of the cost and responsibility of having animals. Hens should never free range without at least one rooster, I would say two. It is just asking to have them picked off by predators.
Pick the rooster up and snuggle him. Walk around with him. Pet him. Do this as often as you possibly can. trying to find him off with the broom is only challenging him and making his behavior worse.

Rios can be train not to attack you
You just have to work with them a bit and remember that it is their job to protect the hens and young ones can get over zealous.
Rakes sticks and other objects of the like trigger an attack response so carrying those are training him to attack you.
When he goes to attack you
Face him and snag him gently by the neck then gently push his body to the ground .
Hold him in this manner till he stops struggling.
I always talk to him softly while I do this.
When he stops release him and remain in your stooped position . he will retreat. Repeat process as needed.
Finally, a knowledgeable answer from a knowledgeable person. Thanks for posting.

Im sorry to both of you, but you are unfamiliar with my particular rooster, and im happy for you that youve had luck with other particular roosters. HOWEVER, as i have already stated, Rusty's lack of human interaction is not the problem. He has always been handled and loved. Even since becoming aggressive. It doesn't help in the slightest. Also, when he attacks, there is no time to face him, there is no grabbing him, there is no stopping him. It's not that simple. The "weapons" we have to hold or chase with is not what provokes him to attack. In fact, that is the only way he will back down and realize he isn't the head honcho. The only "retreating" he he will do, is when he sees us pick up a weapon. Our fear and vulnerability is the ONLY thing that provokes him to attack. Although i appreciate advise, please don't assume that whatever im doing is wrong and that theres things that i haven't already tried persistently. If this was the case, i would've asked for advise on how to train him, not cull him.

Back
Top Bottom