Cull him, or wait for protection?

Pics
I like what everyone is saying and trying to make suggestions the don't end up with the rooster as dinner. But I mean, is it really all worth it anyways. It's a lot of effort and money going into this fence. And it seems odd to have just one fenced yard and restrict kids to it when you have a whole property to explore, not letting them out of it when they want to go outside. Also the thread starter is still going to have to go out the coop multiple times a day. The biggest problem obviously is the rooster vs kids, but I doubt he just wants to be attacked every time he goes out there. Eating roosters is just a part of chicken keeping. We all should know what we signed up for when getting a rooster in the first place - they just don't always work out. Culling chickens is something we all have to do at some point.

One mean rooster, is just not worth it.

it seems odd to have just one fenced yard and restrict kids to it when you have a whole property to explore, not letting them out of it when they want to go outside.

For a 3 year old and a 4 year old, when there are cattle on the rest of the property, I think a safe place to play near home sounds like a VERY good idea. (That's what they already have, as regards the cattle. Whether it is worth making the cattle-proof fence also be chicken-proof might be a different matter.)

I like what everyone is saying and trying to make suggestions the don't end up with the rooster as dinner. But I mean, is it really all worth it anyways.... Culling chickens is something we all have to do at some point....One mean rooster, is just not worth it.

I'm in favor of eating the rooster, so I agree with you there.

But sometimes people want to keep all chickens out of a certain yard, to avoid stepping in chicken poop or having the grass scratched up. So improving the fence to keep chickens out of the yard might make sense, even if the rooster does get eaten.

And I don't know how much labor or money it takes to improve the fence. But since there is an existing fence, it may be possible to use the same fenceposts, which would save both money and effort.

For a 3 year old and a 4 year old, when there are cattle on the rest of the property, I think a safe place to play near home sounds like a VERY good idea. (That's what they already have, as regards the cattle. Whether it is worth making the cattle-proof fence also be chicken-proof might be a different matter.)

I'm in favor of eating the rooster, so I agree with you there.

But sometimes people want to keep all chickens out of a certain yard, to avoid stepping in chicken poop or having the grass scratched up. So improving the fence to keep chickens out of the yard might make sense, even if the rooster does get eaten.

And I don't know how much labor or money it takes to improve the fence. But since there is an existing fence, it may be possible to use the same fenceposts, which would save both money and effort.
Oh okay well that makes sense. Sounds like we all agree😂

Ah, yes. Our electric fencing consists of two wires along the regular fencing. One about 6 inches from the ground, the other about mid ways of the fence. The cattle (the bull) learned how to break down fences, so the electric fencing is to keep them in, not necessarily to keep preditors out. I didnt even know they had other electric fencing options like that. That seems lune a huge expense for some chickens, however.
Yes unfortunately it would cost around $400 to $500 for initial set up for approx 100ft fence. But I guess you have to figure out the value of your flock and could it be increased a little, to help justify the initial out lay ..?

The following link has all the info and prices

https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php?fence_id=30

Sorry that you're dealing with such a nasty rooster, OP, and that you're having a hard time working up the heart to off him. He'd better make a tasty dinner for you and your family.
Good luck with all this. I hope that your kids are all right and that the rooster tastes good (I'd, personally, roast him and have him like an early Thanksgiving turkey).

My 14 month old EE Roo has became pretty aggressive this Spring. He has a flock of 14 hens. He is constantly in attack mode. I have my bluff in on him with a rake now, but my children are targets. Weather is warming up so naturally my 3 and 4 year old want to play outside on their trampoline and stuff. Obviously they can't comfortably with him and he has to go. What is the best way to cull him? I'm very seriously considering a shotgun at the moment, I'm so sick of him. Problem is, my flock is 100% free range and and are only go in their coop to lay and roost. Im affraid my hens will be vulnerable to predators without his protection. We are on a 40 acre pasture farm and we have alot of coyotes. Should i maybe build them a run instead of free range, without his protection? Im not sure how much "protection" he does anyways since i keep his spurs and nails trimmed short to keep my kids from serious injuries. Even though he cant do much damage, it still dont stop him from attacking and it still dont keep my kids from being stalked, tortured, and terrified. Or just leave the hens free range and hope the predators stay clear. Id HATE to have them penned up, but id also hate to lose them as their egg production is a business. The hens well being is the priority, my mind is made up that Rusty has to go.. Opinions? Thoughts? Advice?
I had one getting mean hit him in the head with a tobacco stick and he's straightened up. You might just need to knock the crap out of him make him think you're going to kill him. Worked on mine. Good luck.

I raised our rooster from a chick. Handled him, cuddled him and he liked to sleep on an old slipper of mine in the garage - while his girls free ranged. One day he turned on two of our grandchildren - they came screaming out of the forest with him hurtling after them. My husband shot him. Hooe this helps.

I like what everyone is saying and trying to make suggestions the don't end up with the rooster as dinner. But I mean, is it really all worth it anyways. It's a lot of effort and money going into this fence. And it seems odd to have just one fenced yard and restrict kids to it when you have a whole property to explore, not letting them out of it when they want to go outside. Also the thread starter is still going to have to go out the coop multiple times a day. The biggest problem obviously is the rooster vs kids, but I doubt he just wants to be attacked every time he goes out there. Eating roosters is just a part of chicken keeping. We all should know what we signed up for when getting a rooster in the first place - they just don't always work out. Culling chickens is something we all have to do at some point.

One mean rooster, is just not worth it.
This is exactly the point. Its all unnecessary to construct fencing and limiting my kids to a specific area in their yard, all to keep an aggressive rooster alive.
I had one getting mean hit him in the head with a tobacco stick and he's straightened up. You might just need to knock the crap out of him make him think you're going to kill him. Worked on mine. Good luck.
Oh I've whacked him quite a bit, with everything in sight, lol. I think I've got my bluff in on him for the most part. I seen it worked for me so i taught my kids to carry a weapon with them to the trampoline. I told them to show it to him, point it at him, and tell him no. It seems to help alot! No attacks since. He sees it and goes along about his business. My 4 year olds weapon of choice is an empty caulk gun i had in the laundryroom 🤣

My 14 month old EE Roo has became pretty aggressive this Spring. He has a flock of 14 hens. He is constantly in attack mode. I have my bluff in on him with a rake now, but my children are targets. Weather is warming up so naturally my 3 and 4 year old want to play outside on their trampoline and stuff. Obviously they can't comfortably with him and he has to go. What is the best way to cull him? I'm very seriously considering a shotgun at the moment, I'm so sick of him. Problem is, my flock is 100% free range and and are only go in their coop to lay and roost. Im affraid my hens will be vulnerable to predators without his protection. We are on a 40 acre pasture farm and we have alot of coyotes. Should i maybe build them a run instead of free range, without his protection? Im not sure how much "protection" he does anyways since i keep his spurs and nails trimmed short to keep my kids from serious injuries. Even though he cant do much damage, it still dont stop him from attacking and it still dont keep my kids from being stalked, tortured, and terrified. Or just leave the hens free range and hope the predators stay clear. Id HATE to have them penned up, but id also hate to lose them as their egg production is a business. The hens well being is the priority, my mind is made up that Rusty has to go.. Opinions? Thoughts? Advice?
I’ve been raising chickens for over 45 years, so this seems simpler to me than most… No question, the rooster goes, TODAY..! They are fighters by nature and will go for the eyes, by instinct… With children around, he has to go… Now, here is the good news that many are not aware of... When an established flock of hens, that have been cared for by a rooster, then loses their rooster, the hen at the top of the pecking order will take over the roll of a rooster.., It’s an amazing phenomenon to watch. First she will stop laying eggs, then start producing testosterone, begin to grow a large waddle… and even begin to try to crow (though a bit pathetically😕…) This will take a few month, so don’t run out and get another rooster right away, if you want to try this… There are many municipalities that don’t allow rosters and they do just fine… but then they will make the mistake of getting rid of that, “one hen that refuses to lay” any eggs🤨…. Also, an established flock will often reject a new rooster, and he will get “hen-pecked” to death. If you have a hen that gets broody, get her some fertil eggs to set on, and you’ll get a roo that won’t get rejected by the flock. Good Luck
+Blessings

Back
Top Bottom