Cull him, or wait for protection?

Pics
My 14 month old EE Roo has became pretty aggressive this Spring. He has a flock of 14 hens. He is constantly in attack mode. I have my bluff in on him with a rake now, but my children are targets. Weather is warming up so naturally my 3 and 4 year old want to play outside on their trampoline and stuff. Obviously they can't comfortably with him and he has to go. What is the best way to cull him? I'm very seriously considering a shotgun at the moment, I'm so sick of him. Problem is, my flock is 100% free range and and are only go in their coop to lay and roost. Im affraid my hens will be vulnerable to predators without his protection. We are on a 40 acre pasture farm and we have alot of coyotes. Should i maybe build them a run instead of free range, without his protection? Im not sure how much "protection" he does anyways since i keep his spurs and nails trimmed short to keep my kids from serious injuries. Even though he cant do much damage, it still dont stop him from attacking and it still dont keep my kids from being stalked, tortured, and terrified. Or just leave the hens free range and hope the predators stay clear. Id HATE to have them penned up, but id also hate to lose them as their egg production is a business. The hens well being is the priority, my mind is made up that Rusty has to go.. Opinions? Thoughts? Advice?
I’ve been raising chickens for over 45 years, so this seems simpler to me than most… No question, the rooster goes, TODAY..! They are fighters by nature and will go for the eyes, by instinct… With children around, he has to go… Now, here is the good news that many are not aware of... When an established flock of hens, that have been cared for by a rooster, then loses their rooster, the hen at the top of the pecking order will take over the roll of a rooster.., It’s an amazing phenomenon to watch. First she will stop laying eggs, then start producing testosterone, begin to grow a large waddle… and even begin to try to crow (though a bit pathetically😕…) This will take a few month, so don’t run out and get another rooster right away, if you want to try this… There are many municipalities that don’t allow rosters and they do just fine… but then they will make the mistake of getting rid of that, “one hen that refuses to lay” any eggs🤨…. Also, an established flock will often reject a new rooster, and he will get “hen-pecked” to death. If you have a hen that gets broody, get her some fertil eggs to set on, and you’ll get a roo that won’t get rejected by the flock. Good Luck
+Blessings

As i made this post out of anger, Rusty is still here being a little terror and still testing my patience, lol. I hate to admit this, but i knocked him out the other day. And i mean literally knocked him out cold. I thought i killed him. I felt bad, not that i would've been to sad though. One day i wont feel bad at all...

As i made this post out of anger, Rusty is still here being a little terror and still testing my patience, lol. I hate to admit this, but i knocked him out the other day. And i mean literally knocked him out cold. I thought i killed him. I felt bad, not that i would've been to sad though. One day i wont feel bad at all...
I think you should just kill him and make a tasty pot of chicken soup.
I recommend you do this as soon as possible.

I consider it kinder to the chicken to just kill him, instead of smacking him when you are surprised or lose your patience.

And I am sure it is kinder to yourself and the other chickens to remove this one as soon as possible, rather than allowing him to continue his bad behavior.

I think you should just kill him and make a tasty pot of chicken soup.
I recommend you do this as soon as possible.

I consider it kinder to the chicken to just kill him, instead of smacking him when you are surprised or lose your patience.

And I am sure it is kinder to yourself and the other chickens to remove this one as soon as possible, rather than allowing him to continue his bad behavior.
I agree. Problem is, one of my biggest weaknesses is giving things and people way more chances than they deserve. I forgive WAY to easily. Giving benefits of doubts is something I'm well known for. I am not proud of this "disability" of mine, lol. I just get this overwhelming feeling and thoughts of what ifs. What if i give him time and he gets better, ya know. I am very well aware he probably won't get better, but i just cant get passed the thought. I just can't bring myself to do it yet, even though i want to and even though i know it's the right thing to do, lol.

one of my biggest weaknesses is giving things and people way more chances than they deserve.

You are an adult person. So you can choose to tolerate what the rooster does to you.

But the decisions you make affect your children and your other chickens, too.
You are not giving them a chance to be free of the stress caused by that cockerel. (Even if he is not causing injuries, I am sure he is causing stress.)

So I think you need to just dispatch this cockerel because of his effect on other people & animals who are depending on you to keep them safe.

You are an adult person. So you can choose to tolerate what the rooster does to you.

But the decisions you make affect your children and your other chickens, too.
You are not giving them a chance to be free of the stress caused by that cockerel. (Even if he is not causing injuries, I am sure he is causing stress.)

So I think you need to just dispatch this cockerel because of his effect on other people & animals who are depending on you to keep them safe.
I just seen this comment when i came to update. First, you are absolutely right. Second, update: Rusty will be culled tonight. I won't put up with it any more. He had my 3 year old down on the ground, flogging away at his head as he was curled up into a fetal position screaming. My husband exhausted himself chasing him trying to catch him, or he would've done it before i could get to him tonight. May have been a good thing though, because if my husband would've caught him then, he would've killed him out of anger, in front of the kids. Although the kids hate him, it would've saddened them, if not traumatized them, to witness it. I will get him off the roost tonight, after the kids are asleep, and cull him. Im thinking the broomstick method will be easiest. Now, to the butchering and processing... How do i go about that? Bleed him out? I want the skin on (thats the best part, lol). How do i get the feathers off? Boil him? Pluck them? How do i gut him? I guess i need to head over to YouTube, lol.

I just seen this comment when i came to update. First, you are absolutely right. Second, update: Rusty will be culled tonight. I won't put up with it any more. He had my 3 year old down on the ground, flogging away at his head as he was curled up into a fetal position screaming. My husband exhausted himself chasing him trying to catch him, or he would've done it before i could get to him tonight. May have been a good thing though, because if my husband would've caught him then, he would've killed him out of anger, in front of the kids. Although the kids hate him, it would've saddened them, if not traumatized them, to witness it. I will get him off the roost tonight, after the kids are asleep, and cull him. Im thinking the broomstick method will be easiest. Now, to the butchering and processing... How do i go about that? Bleed him out? I want the skin on (thats the best part, lol). How do i get the feathers off? Boil him? Pluck them? How do i gut him? I guess i need to head over to YouTube, lol.

Sorry it took that event to get you to the decision, agree its the right decision to make (and that killing in front of children should not be done in anger). Youtube is your friend here.

I use a SHARP (not merely Sharp, or sharp, and certainly not shArP!) knife and take the whole head while hanging, then bleed him out. Wear something you can wash blood out of, even headless, they tend to flop around a lot. Scald (water temp matters ALOT - you need a thermometer for that), pluck. I have done young birds w/o scalding - some advantages, some complaints. I'm not quick at it, either way.

Set up a table outside, something you can bleach, with a source of running water. Trash can. All your tools. Plastic bags to store the part you are keeping. Set aside an hour for your first one.

Refrigerate 2-3 days after culling before cooking. I forget how old this bird was, but look to stewing, crock pot, or other long, low, wet heat methods for best results.

Sorry it took that event to get you to the decision, agree its the right decision to make (and that killing in front of children should not be done in anger). Youtube is your friend here.

I use a SHARP (not merely Sharp, or sharp, and certainly not shArP!) knife and take the whole head while hanging, then bleed him out. Wear something you can wash blood out of, even headless, they tend to flop around a lot. Scald (water temp matters ALOT - you need a thermometer for that), pluck. I have done young birds w/o scalding - some advantages, some complaints. I'm not quick at it, either way.

Set up a table outside, something you can bleach, with a source of running water. Trash can. All your tools. Plastic bags to store the part you are keeping. Set aside an hour for your first one.

Refrigerate 2-3 days after culling before cooking. I forget how old this bird was, but look to stewing, crock pot, or other long, low, wet heat methods for best results.
Well, to be honest, im not sure i have a pot big enough. Is it possible to pluck him without scalding? (Sigh) Maybe do i just need to skin him? He is 14 months. I planned on a long roast (bake), but if he will prolly be to tough, i guess he can go in the crockpot for something. Ive never cooked a self processed chicken so its all new to me. We eat alot of chicken though, so id feel better if he atleast provided us a meal if i have to kill him.

Well, to be honest, im not sure i have a pot big enough. Is it possible to pluck him without scalding? (Sigh) Maybe do i just need to skin him? He is 14 months. I planned on a long roast (bake), but if he will prolly be to tough, i guess he can go in the crockpot for something. Ive never cooked a self processed chicken so its all new to me. We eat alot of chicken though, so id feel better if he atleast provided us a meal if i have to kill him.

Crockpot. Don't roast. Or grind him for sausage/"chicken burgers". Dry heat and old birds make for tough chew.

The only birds I've plucked w/o scalding have been young (yesterday's were both 18 weeks, 3 days - I skinned one, plucked the other). Bowing out in favor of posters with more experience processing older birds. Going back to my chicken noodle soup. (also a good use for old bird - in this case, the one I skinned)

Back
Top Bottom