Cull or not to cull? Hen eating eggs!

Imma Okie

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 2, 2011
Oklahoma
I have a hen that has discovered how tasty eggs are, so she partakes. Will this continue? Is there something I can do to stop this?
Judging by her vent, she is a good layer....still, she eats eggs! Her one egg a day doesn't make up for the damage she has/will cause. They roam free daily. I offer higher protein crumbles. I scatter scratch. There is grit available. They get table scraps. I mix Kickin' Chicken with their food. I mix in some calf manna with the crumbles. I can't imagine that it's a nutritional issue.

I wanted my broodiest hen to set, so I have left eggs for the last 2 days. This morning there were 12 eggs. I went to check on the nest and I found a hen eating an egg. This isn't the first time I found broken eggs. I just wasn't able to catch the culprit until today. She made such a mess of the nest, that I will need to start over.
Is this a cull'able' offense? They aren't pets, but we raised these chickens on our laps practically. These were our very first chicks. With that said, I feed them and give them a happy life...so my family has fresh eggs. It has been a mutually beneficial relationship. I don't have room for an egg eater.
She may have to go live at a petting zoo!
Advice is welcome!
Thanks so much.

I have not had an egg eating hen, but maybe you could put something she doesn't like on the eggs. Or pick them up more frequently.

Well I was trying to let a broody hen set, so I don't want to put her off. I have since given up on setting until I separate. I am back to picking up eggs several times a day.

culling is nessicary they are really hard to break that habit and she can teach it to others

I haven't had any more eggs eaten, as I have been johnny on the spot about collecting the eggs. So far so good. Keep your fingers crossed! If I can't break her...she will end up soup!

You can break an egg eater! I wouldn't cull her yet- well I would seperate her. Here's an artical I wrote on it- I hope it helps!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater

Thank you so much! I will try the mustard and the golf ball trick. I am already laughing as I picture myself trying to fill an egg with mustard. I am sure someone will have a camera near to catch that moment for all to enjoy! In the meantime, I have been giving them more meat scraps.

Back
Top Bottom