1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cull or not to cull? Hen eating eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Imma Okie, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Imma Okie

Imma Okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I have a hen that has discovered how tasty eggs are, so she partakes. Will this continue? Is there something I can do to stop this?
    Judging by her vent, she is a good layer....still, she eats eggs! Her one egg a day doesn't make up for the damage she has/will cause. They roam free daily. I offer higher protein crumbles. I scatter scratch. There is grit available. They get table scraps. I mix Kickin' Chicken with their food. I mix in some calf manna with the crumbles. I can't imagine that it's a nutritional issue.

I wanted my broodiest hen to set, so I have left eggs for the last 2 days. This morning there were 12 eggs. I went to check on the nest and I found a hen eating an egg. This isn't the first time I found broken eggs. I just wasn't able to catch the culprit until today. She made such a mess of the nest, that I will need to start over.
    Is this a cull'able' offense? They aren't pets, but we raised these chickens on our laps practically. These were our very first chicks. With that said, I feed them and give them a happy life...so my family has fresh eggs. It has been a mutually beneficial relationship. I don't have room for an egg eater.
    She may have to go live at a petting zoo!
    Advice is welcome!
    Thanks so much.

2. Over Easy in Adna

Over Easy in Adna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Adna Washington
    I think you answered your own question..... "I don't have room for an egg eater."

3. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    LOL...yes.
    I guess I wondered if, once an egg eater, always an egg eater?

4. Parismymare

Parismymare Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    culling is nessicary they are really hard to break that habit and she can teach it to others

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
  6. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    I have not had an egg eating hen, but maybe you could put something she doesn't like on the eggs. Or pick them up more frequently.

7. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Well I was trying to let a broody hen set, so I don't want to put her off. I have since given up on setting until I separate. I am back to picking up eggs several times a day.

I haven't had any more eggs eaten, as I have been johnny on the spot about collecting the eggs. So far so good. Keep your fingers crossed! If I can't break her...she will end up soup!

Thank you so much! I will try the mustard and the golf ball trick. I am already laughing as I picture myself trying to fill an egg with mustard. I am sure someone will have a camera near to catch that moment for all to enjoy! In the meantime, I have been giving them more meat scraps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by