Cull or Vaccinate

• Cull the entire flock

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Cull birds showing symptoms and vaccinate those not showing symptoms

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Do nothing

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
That's awful, sorry you have to deal with it. I had my first flock of 4 come down with a respiratory illness, the avian vet ASSURED me they would not be carriers for life, what did I know, I was new, so I believed him. A few additions later & mine are all carriers & it is such a pain to deal with, if I had to do it again I would cull, no questions asked.

Treating everyone stinks every time they get sick, throwing away eggs for 2 weeks, limiting waterers so they all get meds, I can't ask my neighbor (who has chickens) to help when I go away, I can't have friends who have chickens over. Never would I do it again, but I'm in so deep now...

Good luck.

That's awful, sorry you have to deal with it. I had my first flock of 4 come down with a respiratory illness, the avian vet ASSURED me they would not be carriers for life, what did I know, I was new, so I believed him. A few additions later & mine are all carriers & it is such a pain to deal with, if I had to do it again I would cull, no questions asked.

Treating everyone stinks every time they get sick, throwing away eggs for 2 weeks, limiting waterers so they all get meds, I can't ask my neighbor (who has chickens) to help when I go away, I can't have friends who have chickens over. Never would I do it again, but I'm in so deep now...

Good luck.

I understand you.
Its hard to deal with the fear of new outbreaks, but i just hadnt any choice! I've had my chickens for 6 years when the illness started to spread and they were my pets. Now, one of the chickens exposed (Im sure she's carrier) will be 9 years this March and she is perfectly healthy for the most part of time. Im so grateful for this, even if the early period was difficult :love hold on, good moments will come back in your Flock! :hugs:hugs

Good luck.
Thank you for this valuable insight.

Back
Top Bottom