Cull, rehome or separate?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
So I have a rooster, a big one at that. I never got the chance to get other chickens bc his ‘ litter ‘ was all killed, and I didn’t get lucky with Tsc. He’s attacking my ducks, pinning them down to mate I suppose? I don’t know much about roosters since he’s my very first one. (Other than the meat chicken rooster)

So should I just send him to someone to cull, rehome or try n separate them? But the thing is he’s attached to my ducks (maybe too attached) and when he’s alone he freaks out when they panic bc he can’t protect them. I don’t know what to do

Especially bc I know no one wants an aggressive rooster. He has attacked people before, and he attacks my ducks but never attacks me. He follows me everywhere and gets protective. He use to protect my yard from animals but now all he cares about is my ducks and mating. Will this stop? If so how long after? I’m not sure how much I can protect my ducks from him. Now my drakes attack him as well

If you have space, a separate chicken run with some hens might solve your issue. It depends on whether he's too inappropriately attached to ducks vs. his own species, however, considering the ducks will still be around as a distraction.

Rehoming to a place without ducks, just hens, would be ideal and I imagine he would adjust fairly rapidly. Roosters are generally willing to mate anything they can imagine to be another bird so I doubt he'd have any issues!

I have a rooster who was rehomed here, and he really settled into life with a flock of new pullets very quickly. If he was depressed at all at losing his original companions, it passed so quickly I didn't have time to notice.

As a last resort, yes, I'd consider culling before either he or one of your ducks gets injured thanks to resistance/fighting.

If you have space, a separate chicken run with some hens might solve your issue. It depends on whether he's too inappropriately attached to ducks vs. his own species, however, considering the ducks will still be around as a distraction.

Rehoming to a place without ducks, just hens, would be ideal and I imagine he would adjust fairly rapidly. Roosters are generally willing to mate anything they can imagine to be another bird so I doubt he'd have any issues!

I have a rooster who was rehomed here, and he really settled into life with a flock of new pullets very quickly. If he was depressed at all at losing his original companions, it passed so quickly I didn't have time to notice.

As a last resort, yes, I'd consider culling before either he or one of your ducks gets injured thanks to resistance/fighting.
I do have a spot behind the coop that we could set up. But I’ll have to find hens until then. It’s a backyard coop so we don’t have a lot of land sadly. Thank you, I’ll consider rehoming if it Comes to it

So I have a rooster, a big one at that. I never got the chance to get other chickens bc his ‘ litter ‘ was all killed, and I didn’t get lucky with Tsc. He’s attacking my ducks, pinning them down to mate I suppose? I don’t know much about roosters since he’s my very first one. (Other than the meat chicken rooster)

So should I just send him to someone to cull, rehome or try n separate them? But the thing is he’s attached to my ducks (maybe too attached) and when he’s alone he freaks out when they panic bc he can’t protect them. I don’t know what to do

Especially bc I know no one wants an aggressive rooster. He has attacked people before, and he attacks my ducks but never attacks me. He follows me everywhere and gets protective. He use to protect my yard from animals but now all he cares about is my ducks and mating. Will this stop? If so how long after? I’m not sure how much I can protect my ducks from him. Now my drakes attack him as well
look around for a local animal auction someones gonna want him worst comes to worst they have to cull him instead of you but sometimes people want a rooster for fertile eggs the best you can do is hope!

Back
Top Bottom