Culled my polish hen

Guinea Goonie

Roosting Elsewhere
12 Years
Sep 2, 2008
Peace Valley in Howell County Missouri
In the last few days my lovely lavender white top polish hen started to get off her roost and sleep on the ground. I tried to get her to eat and drink, but she only layed there. I isolated her and check her droppings, eyes, notrils, legs, feathers, crop and mouth. Every thing seemed normal. After a few days of this; I just could not stand it. I was very concerned of Markel's desease, but the eyes were normal. I would sure like some opinions on this. I just felt that she would not recover and if she did, she would carry a disease that would come back and bite me in the ass. God, I hate killing animals (other than coons, possums, armidillos and dogs that kill my chickens).
sad.png

I am so sorry. I hate the thought of having to do that. I don't know if it is mareks or not. It could be that of moldy feed from the ground ( It happens), or if they got cold during the rain, or if the temp has droped more than 20 degrees in a 2 to 3 day period. it could be anything. Have you tried give her apple cider vinegar in her water ( 1 table spoon for a gallon), my mom swears by this.

I'm sorry you felt that you had to cull your bird, she sounded lovely. If she didnt feel well, and you didnt think she was going to get better, or was going to bring some kind of threat of illness to your flock, then you were taking care of business.
Take care,
Tina/tfpets

Well, My wife looked her over and we both concluded that this was a nerve disorder. We culled her this evening as humanly as we could. I had another polish, a white top black one that suddenly died a few weeks ago. Putting this information together we think we did the right thing and ended the suffering. We have well over 50 chickens and we just can not expose to a disease that may wipe out the flock. I have spent countless days incubating and raising my red jungle fowl and I just can not lose them. We have a boat load of silkies and these lovely birds are far too inocent to risk thier lives for one chicken no matter how lovely and loved. We really enjoy the silkies.

With the stress from the molt as well as the changing of the seasons, it is pretty hard on the birds this time of year. I would try a molasses flush next time to clean em out and then follow with a dose of tetracyclene, followed by some good replacement bacteria. Sounds kinda like when their gut bacteria runs rampant and moves into their crop, (called greens, mud fever, etc..). Was she crop bound? How was the droppings? Hope it is nothing too serious.

Back
Top Bottom