Culling a chicken advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clucking hen, May 30, 2016.

1. clucking hen

clucking hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    I have a chicken who has been sick for awhile and recently took a turn for the worse. She won't walk and only eats a little bit. I think at this point the best thing to do is put her out of her misery. I have decided that the broomstick method is probably the way to go... My parents won't do it and I'm pretty nervous that somehow I'll mess up and she will suffer more.

Does anyone have any advice or anything? I'm not sure if there is an easier way? Also I heard maybe I should do it at night? I just want to make it quick and as painless as I can.

Thank you for any advice.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. It's the worst part of keeping animals [​IMG]

There are several threads on the Meat Birds, Etc forum about dispatching birds. You might spend some time researching there, some good tips.

3. clucking hen

clucking hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Ok thanks. Will do.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    One of the quickest ways to dispatch a bird is by breaking their neck. A good way to get leverage for that is to place a wooden handle (eg from a rake) across the back of the neck, stand on each side, and pull firmly and quickly up until you feel the neck give. Sometimes you may pull the head off, but if done with proper force it is fast. You can do a search above for cervical disarticulation.

Holding the bird upside down by the legs for a few moments will quiet them so they are not struggling when you attempt this.

1 person likes this.
  5. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    If culling isn't for you, another thought:

Call your nearest vet and explain what you need done. No paperwork, cash only, bring your own box, quick appointment, no tears or goodbyes, tech or vet walks in and "zap" and you're done and out the door in less than 5 minutes. $20 max?

Alternatively:

People have been dispatching animals for hundreds of years with firearms. A .410, 12 gauge, large caliber handgun, etc., will be about as quick and painless as it gets.

We're (sadly) in the city limits so I sometimes use a break-barrel pellet gun that works fine in emergencies but isn't preferable to killing cones. Messy, but there is no suffering

@donrae said it best, this is the worst part of keeping animals.

Good luck, the first one is always the hardest. It gets different after that.

6. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I read a thread to hear that gave some other suggestions. Like putting the chicken in a paper bag and then put in the bag opening around the exhaust pipe of the car. Is this a good way? Other ways might be quicker but maybe this is less traumatic. Don't know, I know someday I may have to be faced with this also. I have neighbors that could do it for me but if they're not around who knows. I'm very sorry about your chicken.

7. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

I had the same thought and started a thread to ask. Somebody also mentioned some other method that they use, if you search my threads you should be able to find the responses I got to the question.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  9. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Thanks, that's the thread, but not the information I'm remembering.... Maybe I asked in another thread? Sorry OP if I've led you astray. It was something about dropping them suddenly, or something. It was a bit upsetting so I've gone back into my bubble of hoping nothing happens to anyone.

10. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I think the thread I read was in the learning center.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by