Culling a chicken (sorry if graphic)

have you ever heard of frog legs jumping while you cook them? they jump because there is still a nerve in the leg and it twitches...it is the same for a chicken when they get all of the blood drained they are dead then a few seconds after their nerves start twitching even though they are dead.

You did very well macybean. If you did anything wrong, then perhaps (I dont know), You let it live too long.

Sometimes you must make yourself hard, and I know You did today.

I slaughtered two geese today. No fun at all, but a very healthy experience.

I think meateating should requiere a licence. No meat if you dont slaughter at least one animal a year.
Taking a life is a big deal. But you can hide this from yourself if you only get meat from a supermarket.

Last edited:
If its not for eating I actually just read in a book about useing bakeing soda and peroxcide to create carbon dioxide?? for culling chicks they just go to sleep not trama to anyone I wonder if you could do that on a bigger scale for an adult that needs culled for health reasons or what not ??

Hi there, its already been said a bunch, but I slaughtered and process my first chicken today. He was a younger rooster that I could not find a home for and my flock picked on him, so we processed him for a holiday bird. Spent some time with him. My husband and I tried our best to make him feel as ease. I held him and waited for him to relax before lopping his head off. He flapped for 2 minutes and I started crying, thinking something was wrong.

I was wrong. It's natural, that the nerves fire off like that after death. Have you ever fallen asleep and JOLTED awake? That's the same sort of idea. When you fall asleep, the muscles in your body think that you're dying, so they will twitch in random locations in an attempt to wake the body up. If you've ever fallen asleep holding someone, you would get an idea of what I am speaking about. So, the bird will flap and flail around unless you contain the body. If you're worried about experiencing this again, which you most likely will..I'd defineitely would get a cone.

My dad always rung their necks and they snapped off. ( horrible) if I ever decide to eat one of ours now, I would chop its head off, but be prepared.... They still run around for a bit.

Is there any way to cull a chicken without using a blade? I mean, can you put CO in front of it for a while or something and have it just go to sleep? We have a chicken that likely needs to be put down from illness, and using a blade might end up killing me first. :) But I can understand that that would be the fastest way to do it. Thanks.

Is there any way to cull a chicken without using a blade? I mean, can you put CO in front of it for a while or something and have it just go to sleep? We have a chicken that likely needs to be put down from illness, and using a blade might end up killing me first. :) But I can understand that that would be the fastest way to do it. Thanks.

I've used a shovel to kill badly injured/sick birds. Get someone to hold it steady on ground that is pretty firm, position the shovel tip behind the head, then jump quickly and forcefully on the shovel. It's quick and it gets the job done effectively without much precision or effort.

Look up sparrow trap, there's usually a link to using CO to euthanize the trapped pest birds.
You need a closed container to hold bird and CO...it doesn't put them to 'sleep', it suffocates them with lack of oxygen.

So far we've only culled 1 rooster that got mean. I'm not too proud to aadmit that when it came time to swing the axe, I couldn't do it. Hubby came to the rescue. But he wasn't prepared for the flapping around & thought he'd made the bird suffer.

I decided that whenn we have to do it again, I'll get a cone.

Back
Top Bottom