Culling a sick hen.

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
I have a 14 wk old cream legbar that has never been quite right. She eats, including foraging, and drinks, but lays down most of the time. She's always been smaller than her "sister". Having recently noticed that her legs appear swollen, I have decided to put her down. How do I do that as quickly and humanely as possible?

How do I do that as quickly and humanely as possible?
It's never an easy choice. :(

Cervical dislocation via broomstick method.. is usually the easiest for beginners. Sometimes the head pops off. There will be lot's of rapid flapping as an automated response that is not indicative of consciousness. Wringing the neck.. as described by a grandparent.. was extremely difficult to do and not effective.

Tree branch lopper will also do it. See link for examples..

https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/11/12/humane-euthanasia-for-chickens/

Swollen joints can be indicative of certain avian diseases.. consider refrigerating and sending in for necropsy.. Contact info..

Oregon Department of Agriculture
Animal Health Laboratory
635 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97301 US
503-986-4686
fax: 503-986-4688

I sadly shoot my chickens with my shotgun. That is really quick and there is no suffering during the last few minutes of life. So sorry that you have to do this to your chicken!! :hugs :hugs
Sadly is right and the same here. With tears streaming down my face I put my sick old rooster in a cardboard box then took him in the woods. I did the box because no way I could look at him and try to pull the trigger as it was.

Sadly is right and the same here. With tears streaming down my face I put my sick old rooster in a cardboard box then took him in the woods. I did the box because no way I could look at him and try to pull the trigger as it was.
It is hard to do it but it has to be done. You don't want your chicken to suffer.

It's never an easy choice. :(

Cervical dislocation via broomstick method.. is usually the easiest for beginners. Sometimes the head pops off. There will be lot's of rapid flapping as an automated response that is not indicative of consciousness. Wringing the neck.. as described by a grandparent.. was extremely difficult to do and not effective.

Tree branch lopper will also do it. See link for examples..

https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/11/12/humane-euthanasia-for-chickens/

Swollen joints can be indicative of certain avian diseases.. consider refrigerating and sending in for necropsy.. Contact info..

Oregon Department of Agriculture
Animal Health Laboratory
635 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97301 US
503-986-4686
fax: 503-986-4688
Thanks for the information. Having read the article I realized that I don't have the stomach for doing it myself. I have an appt. with a vet to have it put down next week. I will be contacting a nearby university's ag dept. to send the remains in for testing. That is what my vet suggested.

Back
Top Bottom