culling a turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Mother of All, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    do you cull a turkey like you do a chicken? I'm having a problem picturing that. we normally catch the chicken hold it upside down and then chop the neck off. Turkeys are much bigger so how?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    It would depend on why you are culling the turkey???? If you are have too many jakes and don't need them, before you just kill him you could try to see if anyone else would want him. At least I would and I'd suggest that since it would be beneficial. If the turkey has a physiological problem of some sort and cannot grow, it would depend on age/size in terms of the culling method. If it is very small you could follow the same chicken methods. Hope this was helpful. Nancy

3. Mother of All

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    I want it on my table next week

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We take a feed bag and cut one corner out so the head and neck will fit thru,(the bag will keep the wings from beating you up) tie the legs together and chop off the head.

Steve

5. kbu

kbu Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2010
    Quote:this is close to how we did it as a kid on the farm. we would also put a loose bail twine around the neck just at the base of the head to controle the birds head (it is much better i think so you do not miss) we did this on a large wood chopping block and a very sharp hatchet. dad and mom were all about safe, controle and quick.
    after that the rest is close to being like a great BIG chicken. hot water dip and remove feathers, take out oil gland, clean out bird...cook bird and enjoy what you have grown![​IMG]
    have a good turkey day![​IMG]

6. Mother of All

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    thank you the bag idea is great thank you thank you thank you have a wonderful thanksgiving and bless you all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by