Culling BCM Cockerels?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BawGock, Jun 2, 2010.

1. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I know, I know, I'm thinking about this probably way too early but I'm hoping for a little insight. [​IMG]

I have 14 BCM cockerels (Wade Jeane lines) that are 2mos old which I would like to eventually cull down to 5 birds.

Juvenile feathering can be so different from adult plumage I know I could make a mistake culling but are there any obvious coloration flaws that are visible at this early time?
    This is my first experience with BCM's so any info is much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Carolyn

2. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    the wade jeane line is known to have too much red in their breast, so cull the ones with the most red in their chest. [​IMG]
    and keep the ones with thedarlest chest.

3. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Thanks Josh,
    There are three that have really brown breasts...all they way down their legs.
    Carolyn

4. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    I would not cull for feathers until they shed-molt the baby feathers. Cull for side sprigs on comb soon as you can see them.

5. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Mossiness usually shows up in the first set of feathers - often with some barring. Hopefully you haven't got any of it, but if you do that's one thing I think you could cull for early.

6. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Is mossiness the brown that I'm seeing in the front on the breast or is it found more on the back?
    Thanks,
    Carolyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by