Culling chicks

markmc

In the Brooder
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Cedaredge, Colorado
We should be getting our chicks in a week or so. I have been reading a lot on this forum about some of the sick chick problems and how, unfortunately, sometimes a chick has to be culled. I know how to take care of this unpleasant task with a full grown chicken but what methods are best if we need to do this to a chick. I know this is a bit morbid but I dont want to be put in this situation and have no idea how to take care of it. Thanks and sorry for the downer of a post!!!

We had to cull one of our chicks we hatched due to spadled leg that would not straighten out no mater what we did. unfortually we got a good pair of sheers and I think you can figure out the rest
sad.png

No problem, we are all here to help each other, no matter how unpleasant the subject matter. I agree with mstricer, a sharp pair of shears is really the kindest method for quickly and humanely dispatching a chick. Cover everything (once the shears are positioned) with a paper towel so you don't have to see it.

As a responsible chicken/pet owner it is sometimes necessary to do what must be done. It ain't easy. For me, and this is no judgement of anyone else, culling the weak is much kinder than allowing them to linger or live a life of pain.

Shears.

Back
Top Bottom