Culling many chickens need advice and help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by boykin2010, Oct 12, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I *think* i have decided on culling my entire flock. I have had chickens come down with a CRD that is spreading rapidly throughout the flock. Many hens have died and I have tried and tried at helping out with different medicines but nothing is working. I have 17 hens now and 2 ducks all in the same coop and run. The hens were all for egg laying but since i have been treating with medicines lately i havent eaten any eggs in the last month. Not to mention, i am only getting 2 eggs a day from all of them.
    What would be the best and easiest way to cull all these chickens if everyone thinks it is necessary? Also, what should i do with all the dead chickens? Should i also cull the ducks? I dont know if they have the disease or not because they havent shown any symptoms.
    Please let me know what to do

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

You might try posting in the meat chicken threads, they would better be able to help you. It sounds though as if you might be better off culling the flock tho...

Check with your vet about decontamination procedures before getting any new birds though.

Sorry about your situation, it sounds as if you are making a hard choice.

3. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    Quote:Post in emergencies for immediate help.
    I feel really bad for you- this is really sad.
    There are many good people who can help- you just need to get their attention.

good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by